SPS Emergency

downhill_biker

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Die redbugs die! I would also recommend, if possible, and if you like them, dragonface pipefish. They are pretty awesome critters and do really well in reef tanks in my experience. I have had friends that had redbugs and introduced a couple of these guys and within weeks they had no redbugs and never had an issue again. I also used to keep one in one of my tanks just because I thought they looked badass and were fun to watch. They will compete slightly with your mandarine, but typically eat slightly smaller microfauna(unlike the six-lines IMO).

Garrett

Thanks miles and garrett.

Miles, I didn't know how much the redbugs were "killing" the coral, as much as they were irritating the coral. That is good info to know, just what i was thinking.

Garrett, I already have the mandarin and six line, do you think my system could support another fish? Especially another pod eater?

Personally I am not sure that I would try it unless I was feeding microfauna to my system from another source. It would kind of be fun to see if that did help, but at the same time I would hate to see a sustainable pod population decrease and cause problems with the mandarine and six-line. Remember dragon face pipes will usually go for the really small critters like redbugs whereas the mandarine and six-line tend to go with the bigger critters. Not to say that they won't go for the smaller ones on occasion too.

Garrett

so i dosed the interceptor 3-4 days ago. everything went well. i couldnt get the acro crabs out. sucks i really love them and its not like you can order acro crabs(sad). but when it comes down to 1 gizilion dollars in sps or a few freebie crabs. living and adorable personalitys or not. i chose the sps. everything has gone smooth. my mandarins have kinda been spazing out not being able to find pods. but i have them both on like and frozen brine multiple times a day. and its working well. havent seen any red bugs. all corals look great(rock2)

yeah i figure to be safe no trades out for a month and a half. but im sure 3 doses will destroy everything.i plan to add at least a few different bottles of live pods to seed it for the mandarins. i figure 8' date='000 love pods should be able to start a new population.[/quote']

If that is what you want to do that is fine. "Being Safe" would be 3 weeks. The red bugs are killed after the first treatment and after that it is just precautionary in order to kill any that somehow missed it, like eggs. Both Borneman and Melev say that 3 treatments is "for sure" death to the red bugs and all of their offspring.