Jellyfish.....?

CA2OR

This thread is started in hopes of getting Snowpunk to show a pic. He has 3 jellyfish that appeared out of no where in his sump. Any ideas? They are very small but jellyfish non the less. Are they bad? Where do they come from? What should he do?

I guess the secret is out of the bag. I didn't want to jump out and say I had Jellyfish just yet since I can't get a shot of them at all. They swim like jellys swim and they are very small. I've had 3 for a few weeks but today I looked and their are 2 more now. They are maybe 3 to 5 mm and kinda resemble a feather duster but the feather part is sealed and is what pulses to swim. The only thing I can think is I got some little rubble pieces for frags to go on and they whent into the sump. This happened about the same time. They're a kinda see through tan color and keep pulsing towards the light. I've been putting a little phytofiest in there to keep whatever they are alive. I thought I was crazy thinking I had little Jelly's in my sump. CA2OR was here with his wife so I showed them and they immediately said "Are those Jellyfish!?". So, although I may still be crazy, at least someone has seen them and agreed that they sure do look like Jellyfish even if they aren't. I have no clue what they are, but they are surviving, and maybe even thriving...:eek:(scary)(nutty)DOH!

If they have the little "leaf" looking thinks on the "tentacles" as the pics show, they are most likely Cassiopeia sp., usually Cassiopeia andromeda (usually all tan to brown IME) or Cassiopeia xamachana (often with some blue parts IME.) Happens from time to time with new rock but rare.

Most often though, they are hydroid polyps strobilating into the medusa stage of certain species we get in our tanks. They'll be translucent white to clear. More common and my off-hand guess without seeing an actual pic.

Hopefully the names above will help you ID the little critters

James

like 8 months ago i got a piece of rock and out of no where like weeks later boom. around 10+ jellies came off that rock. you could watch the stages they would kinda grow on the rock like polyps then all of the sudden detach and start pumping. it was really cool i had 3 in a breeder net box ting but they only made it like 3 days.

Yes' date=' that looks almost identical... So what is it?[/quote']

Cassiopeia like Acrylics said or the common name upside down jelly fish.

Very cool! Now throw some blacklights on them!

I always wanted to make a jelly fish cylinder, but read that it's hard to keep. Good luck with yours(clap)

Cassiopeia like Acrylics said or the common name upside down jelly fish.

Very cool! Now throw some blacklights on them!

I always wanted to make a jelly fish cylinder, but read that it's hard to keep. Good luck with yours(clap)

I got a blacklight, I'll have to see what they look like with it. Thanks for the ID guys, and To CA2OR for forcing me to finally post about it...(laugh)