tank building

stylaster

I have built two acrylic sumps...if you have the RIGHT tools for the job...it isn't bad. The main thing is a clean, straight cut so the pieces match up. The next biggy is the glueing or in this case, welding of the pieces.

Marc L. from RC has a site that has great detail about building acrylic, here is the link.

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

Good luck!

Kris

Yep... the prepwork is 90% of the work involved in getting a good seam. The rest is just practice with how things move when they are essentially melted together using solvent. I recently built a 12"x12"x12" box to house my harelequin shrimp and took the time and spent the money to get the right tools. A tablesaw and a router are almost a must if you want to build anything that looks really good. You can get away with less if you just want it to hold water.

The solvents used to weld the material also play a big role in the final look of the seam, some are water thin and dry super fast, others are thick and syrupy and dry real slow.

I've made quite a few things around the house, practicing to build a sump and refugium. I built it this summer, I bought my supplies at Tap Plastics and they were very helpful in showing me how to work with acrylics. The Tigard shop took me in back and showed me how to position and glue(weld). it takes some practice, there are different types of weld normal/fast I found the fast works better. same with the arcylic. also found some good info on the web as always:D

been wanting to make a melev style camera box, save 80 bucks or whatever they are going for now. I don't have the tools, but if there is someone who does, i would be game to pay for the materials for them if you want to get together and figure out how to bust a couple out.

been wanting to make a melev style camera box' date=' save 80 bucks or whatever they are going for now. I don't have the tools, but if there is someone who does, i would be game to pay for the materials for them if you want to get together and figure out how to bust a couple out.[/quote']

Throw a pic up of what you referring to and let's see what we can do :)

James