mesoscope anyone?

Palani

Does anyone have, or any LFS carry mesoscopes? I read that these are macrolens to be used by the naked eye and have attachments to be used by digital cameras. It has a suction cup to stick to your tank and it says it even can observe the zooanthelle on you sps! I was just wondering what the prices are on something like this. I'll let my gf know that it's for educational purposes. LOL.

Yeah, I read that editorial too -- but their site says nothing about it. Each brand of camera has their own lens mounting system, so Ogles would have to make a seperate version for Nikon, Canon, etc etc. Not something I'd expect a small company to have the resources to do, particularly for such a niche product. I'll bet the one provided for the editorial (wasn't that by Delbeek?) was a prototype, made specifically for one camera.

A good macro lens for an SLR camera goes for ~$500, give or take.

I hate to sound like I'm dumping on this, because I'm really not. I think it is really cool, I just want to be clear on what I think are it's limitations from my POV. That said :D I'm also concerned by it's fixed aperture . Controlling depth of field in macro photography with a normal adjustable macro lens is difficult enough, physically changing out the mesoscope's iris would probably be death for me. If something is a pain to do, I tend to not do it (wife)

Of course, all my negative opinions could disappear in a second if it is as cool as they say it is (laugh)

Wait' date=' wouldn't you have to buy a $400-$500 macro lens on top of the digi camera? The way I see it is that you can still use the mesoscope w/o the camera, while the macro lens can only be used with the camera.[/quote']

Macro lenses do not cost that much, you can find brand new ones (top names, i.e. cannon, nikon) on ebay for about 200-250.

Macro lenses do not cost that much' date=' you can find brand new ones (top names, i.e. cannon, nikon) on ebay for about 200-250.[/quote']

The Nikon 105mm f2.8 micronikkor runs about $650 new and the Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro goes for a hair under $500. They're pretty much the middle of the road for serious macro photography. If you can find either of those new on eBay for $250 please let me know ASAP ;)

Yeah, that's the lens but check the prices & warranty. $330 + $30/60 shipping for a grey market lens. You can get close to that price for a USA warranty lens from one of the decent internet shops... still a lot more than $200/250, though thanks for checking :) Someday, it will be mine...

Yeah' date=' that's the lens but check the prices & warranty. $330 + $30/60 shipping for a grey market lens. You can get close to that price for a USA warranty lens from one of the decent internet shops... still a lot more than $200/250, though thanks for checking :) Someday, it will be mine...[/quote']

alright fair enough, LOL...I guess it was other lenses...

I can't find anything on their site about using it with a camera. I know the Editorial in that magazine talked about it, but I'd contact them and ask before ordering one if you plan on using it for photography. If you get one, be sure to let us know how it works :)