60g starphire cube build

markdadof2

Hey All,, thought Id better sit down and read this thread :)

Its always so much fun when I get to do it like I would want it if it was MY tank. This system is going to kick some major acro .... well......

With nearly 5k GPH flow (in a 60 gal? thats 1.3 times turn over a MINUTE!) , kickin light, kickin skimmer, phos reactor, starphire, external overflow (CLEAN!) and a good sized fuge to boot,, this system HAS IT ALL! throw on the controller we've been discussing, the reactor and you are set!

This has me thinking Ill need to make a few more to have a "just add water" kickin system for the sales floor.

Hopefully with this new addition we are doing at Waves, we will have more room to build custom tanks like this!

Waves is looking to expand our tank building portion of our shop big time, if you or anyone you know is looking for a custom glass tank, let me know! Ill make referrals worth your time! FYI, Im quoting up to 300 gallon tanks at this time.

Thank you Mark for your support, your input, ideas, trust, excitement, and giving me the opportunity to "Feed Your Obsession"!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a pleasure to work with Joel on this. Joel was nice enough to have an open invoice that I paid on over a period of months (no credit spending on a hobby for me) :)

He has been very fair and competitive on pricing and answered countless newbie questions, and I'm sure there will be more to come as I set up! I have full confidence in the fact that should something go wrong he will be there to assist me in correcting it.

and No, I am not getting paid to say all of this. If someone goes above and beyond the call of duty I like to shine the light on it!

Thanks Joel!

• 2 months later...

35 gallons of saltwater mixed already....making RO like mad (well, as fast as my RO will make it). Oh, don't leave it on all night unattended...makes a mess :( DANG!

A rundown of equpment again:

60g stgarphire cube with external overflow

oak stand

Reeflo Dart for closed loop

Hamilton belize sun 250w halide with 2 t-5's and moonlights

Two little fishies Phos reactor

Reefkeeper Elite with NET module

Pacific coast 2000 recirc skimmer

Custom built sump / refugium

sealine 6540 return

OK, it was a late night for me...and my router died at home so I could not post last night or this morning. Work is finally tapering off today so here are a few pictures...more tonight (assuming the NEW router works).

60g_starphire_back.jpg

setting rock in:

IMG_4190.jpg

This morning - bad pic but I didn't have much time:

IMG_0182.jpg

Wow - a reef flo Dart on a 60 gal tank! I can't believe I'm saying this, but will that be too much flow?

Thanks for posting all the great pics - very helpful for those of us working on our own upgrades.

Yes, it would be too much flow if I cracked the ball valve all the way open - haven't tried it yet and probably will not (scary) I figured I might as well buy my last pump first...just in case I want to upgrade tank size in the future.

Looks great!

Do you have your Dart up and running yet? How do you like the CL flow? How loud is the pump?

The dart is extremely quiet...it is the skimmer pump that is more noisy than I would like - may have to change that out before long. I must say, I am not super impressed with the noisy fan that the hamilton light fixture has either. I will probably write the company AGAIN to get ideas for a more silent fan.

Overall I am very happy with the tank and the service / quality. The rock that Joel got in is amazing - has so many swim thru areas and tons of place to put corals.

I'll try and get pictures soon, but I have been working on moving the RKE and NET module over from the nano to the new tank tonight...now working on my signature.

I figured I might as well buy my last pump first

Ah - that's makes a ton of sense. I read some great advice when I was looking at buying my table saw - the FIRST saw you buy will be the most expensive one.

I had an image of the dart pouring 3,500 gal/hr of water into that 60gal cube. Does throttling back the flow cause excessive wear on a pump?