How about an ATB skimmer?

SamatSLS

I'm going to recieve an ATB nano skimmer. It's a little large for my Solana project, so I was thinking about selling it to get some money for other tank stuff.

It's rated (accurately) up to a 90 Gallon tank. It's can be used as a hang on back, or in-sump. It comes with everything, and it's brand new.

Sells for $499 plus shipping.

Accepting reasonable offers.

wow. not saying it is a bad deal or not worth it, but how can anyone sell a nano skimmer for $500. i know there is R & D, but the materials are almost nill, and the construction is very simple. is there something i am missing?

again, i am sure it's a good deal. not saying it isn't.

Whats easy about a cone design? Also you need to look at the pump they use. Its well over $100 pump. Several things make this skimmer what it is.

first, ryan, you are right, a cone is more difficult. it is not the typical cylinder that you usually see. the pump is over $100? I paid $100 for a brand new Sedra 9000 Needle Wheel, which is a good pump itself. What kind of pump is it?

andy, i am not "crapping" on anyone's classified thread. this is not me saying it is a bad deal, it is me wondering how the manufacturer can ask such a high retail price initially. has nothing to do with this classified or this price. should i have asked in a general discussion thread? i personally dont feel that it is poor form, i am just trying to understand this.

Please understand that i am a mechanic, fabricator, and designer. i am just trying to understand this. if there are substantial design advantages that give this skimmer an edge over others, then please let me know. i am just trying to learn here.

Its a Eheim 1250. Its about $90 on Marine Depot for the standard. Then you have to do all the custom work to it. BTW- Eheims will smoke a Sedra :)

If you think $500 is a lot then go check out some prices on Deltec, Bubble King, H&S, Bubble Master, and Korallen Zucht.

Here ya go- http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=34&osCsid=320a49d4774351574148722f28e4945f

Ok first thing Sam if you sell it and dont run it on the Solana I will smack you when we discuss the light hanger(laugh)

Second I have been running a ATB cone skimmer for almost a year on my 37 gallon Oceanic. It is rated for a 125 gallon tank I think its a little overboard but all I can say is WOW IT ROCKS(rock2) It has a Ehiem 1250 for a pump (ask Chewie how the pump works we did a little testing compared to his Ehiem he modded) plus also bought a upgraded 1260 for it but have not ran it yet.

Just my dealings with the ATB skimmers but hell I think they are the next best thing to sliced bread(laugh) I know they are spendy but I think you are also paying for the name. I know the MSX? ones are cheap and work. But hey are not a cone skimmer:D

Ok Sam whats going to happen(whistle)

Its a Eheim 1250. Its about $90 on Marine Depot for the standard.

The standard 1250 does not come with the ATB skimmers. They are modded from the factory specificaly for the skimmers. I bought a modded 1260 directly from Victor at ATB and it was almost 200 bucks:eek: It is a needle wheel style pump as the mesh mod they do in the 1250 will not work on the 1260. I think alot of R&D went into these things.

The standard 1250 does not come with the ATB skimmers. They are modded from the factory specificaly for the skimmers. I bought a modded 1260 directly from Victor at ATB and it was almost 200 bucks:eek: It is a needle wheel style pump as the mesh mod they do in the 1250 will not work on the 1260. I think alot of R&D went into these things.

I know. I didnt go into the detail you did but hey (laugh)

Its a Eheim 1250. Its about $90 on Marine Depot for the standard. Then you have to do all the custom work to it. BTW- Eheims will smoke a Sedra :)

nice. i am glad to hear, sounds like that pump is a major advantage, i know eheim return pumps are great, didn't know they made needlewheels too. ryan, that link did have some very expensive skimmers. to a certain extent i think they offered great features for the cost, like bubble diffusers, "cone shape", self cleaning, ect. but for a lot of it i think that you are paying for a name. why? because they have given their products lots of R&D and their products are proven and liked. sometimes i just wonder how much they gouge based on name.

BTW, Sam, your skimmer is now what I would consider very inexpensive. my eyes have been opened to deltec, and other expensive brands. guess i have a VERY VERY inexpensive skimmer.

but how can anyone sell a nano skimmer for $500. is there something i am missing?

The size "nano" is just in reference to the size of the skimmer.

It's rated around 90g.

that was understood. i was just saying that nano skimmers are usually less than others. that wasn't my question. i am wondering what makes this one worth $500

It will skim double(possibly triple) the amount that a "nano" rated skimmer would.

This is not a skimmer to put on a 14g biocube ;)

The term "nano" is a bit misleading. It leads people to believe that it is for "rated" for "nano" tanks.

It is the smallest skimmer that ATB makes.

Well worth $500 IMO.

I've been researching skimmers for the last week or so. The cone skimmer is the way to go. If you google cone or conical skimmer you will see that they aren't cheap right now. Go to reef central and they have guys that review and show the cone skimmer in action, it's awesome. I think they are so expensive is because the pump, custom needle wheel, the design and quality of material. Also most all of them are German, I think Warner Marine is coming out with one but the small is $700. ATB is like a Rolex very good build and quality. If I had the money I would get the ATB medium cone skimmer, $$$. Skimmers are an important part to maintaining an ocean like feel for you livestock in your tank. Never go cheap on the skimmer; you can never skim too much!! Well worth it too.

agreed, i think that it is worth it to buy quality. i was just asking what is quality, and what is excessive markup. i agree with what others have said, there are some advantages to this that make it worth the extra doe.

now...your last comment is what i would consider incorrect. i feel you can skim too much. if you are skimming to the point that there are no nutrients in the water, your tank will suffer. i didn't skimp on my skimmer, i built mine (somewhat), and it is bad ash, so i agree with you there.

I had an ATB small for about a year as well, I had to sell it in a bind. It was the best skimmer I've ever owned, was capable of tripling the amount of skimmate I was getting before with my Euro-Reef.

I would like to run this on the Solana Scott, but I don't wanna look at it hanging on the back with the cup popping up on the backside. Once I recieve it, I'll re-evaluate that.

As far as everyone getting all up in arms over the cost, it's not even like I'm selling it for 500, I said "make a reasonable offer"

Reasonable has gotta be around 300-350 though for me to part with it.

If I can't sell it I WILL use it on my 90G or the Solana project.