Best Decision You made in 2008?

andy

Mine was either buying my AquaController, or switching from 2-part to kalkwasser. Hard to say for sure which was the better decision -- probably the AquaController, because without it I couldn't have (safely) switched to kalk.

The best decision I made after buying my aquacontroller, which one lead to the other was adding a refugium to improve the volume and water quality of my tank. I worked on it thru the summer and installed it in sept. I'm still working on a thread with pictures and discription of the project, will post soon!!

Happy Reefing in 2009

Buying better test kits and monitoring my alk. Sounds silly but I never paid much attention to it before. Now my SPS is finally doing well. Growth from the other corals is better also.

Adding my first real skimmer and dosing sugar as opposed to my old method of weekly 25g water changes has been nice too, although my arms are a bit smaller. I now change my reefs water once a month or month and a half, and the seahorse tank maybe once every three months. So much easier.

smann' date=' did you get the aquacontroller JR? I am thinking about getting the web-enabled version shortly after my new tank. Sounds like you are happy with yours?[/quote']

I got the Aqua Controller III in Feb this year, I'm very happy with it. The Jr does not have the the ethernet port to connect fro the internet. You can also buy seperate the aquaNotes software program. You will need to get a DNS IP address and then open a port on your router to access the controller thru the internet. Its a bit of a challenge getting it all hooked up but its worth it, I can sit a work and have the Aqua program on my desktop and see my PH, Temp, ORP and also modify the program or turn anything running on or off. let me know if you want to see it in action

My best ( and possibly worst ) decision was not to quit the hobby. After the tank crash in the 240, I thought long and hard about giving up. Now it seems like the excitement is building again. 2009 should be great.

Jay

Do you know what happened?, whenever I hear "TankCrash" I dont sleep well at night:eek:.

Kinda of a long story. First I took my refugium w/deep sand bed offline due to a flatworm breakout. My Nitrates started to spike. Then I was in a bad bicycle accident that left me with a bad back. I could not clean the tank ( top of tank is about 6.5 feet off the ground ). Bad went to worse in a quick hurry. I saved one coral and most of my fish. This is what it looked like before the crash.

fulltank.jpg

And at it's worse:

coraline1.jpg

Jay