hermit crabs help

jasmine

I just signed up on this site and was wondering if someone could give me some advice my tank is doing awesome expect I can not seem to keep hermit crabs alive at all they all die within a few days I have no idea why. My corals and fish are doing awesome if someone has some ideas of why. That would be great

thanks Jasmine

check your salt levels...with more than one hydrometer if thats what your useing also ph spikes can cause stress......I would go with salt or your aclimation process try to give us some more info and I'm sure we can brain storm some more ideas. how old is your tank...whats in it...water parameters....is it empty shells or do you find their bodies too?

silly hermies

I have seen her tank … you would not believe her Hammer head (drooler)She can take a half dead chunk of nothing toss it in there and in no time it is gorgeous and healthy. She has got hermits form different shops and for some reason they always die. Her tank is like the Midas touch except when it comes to hermitsDOH!. Oh ya she has a royal gramma, and a clown a couple turbo snails and a sand sifting star

My salt levels are all good they are not from the same store. i do not hear any clicking at night. Thank you everyone who has responded. I will google the Polyclad Flatworm tommorow and hopefully I will soon find the answer to why they dont survive.

Could I, respectfully, ask the age of your reef and your experience? This is a wonderful site and there is a wide range of experience (which is great).But there are people willing to help. It is just too hard to figure out what could be wrong without a full picture of your tank, your testing, and your experience. Without those variables we are just throwing darts. Besides that I live in Eugene and you are a potential coral trading partner (clap)

How are you or are you aclimating them?

What parameters are you testing and what are they?

What kind of Hermit Crabs?

What other kinds of fish and critters are inthere with them?

• Like 1

Well I think I figured out why my hemit crabs die I put 4 peppermint shrimp in my tank last night and my Royal Gramma went after them it killed 3 of them the other peppermint shrimp is hinding at the moment. I am taking the Royal Gramma out today hopefully that is the problem