Mystery Resident?

deans7269

I wished I had pictures! Before I tell you what Im talking about a little recent history. I have reached month four in my new 75G reef tank. I must say the last few days have given mr a whole new perspective on reefs. A week ago I started noticing very noticeble growth in my Corals. They are growing nicely. I have three different colors of green Algae. Lots of brown horse hair Algae. Some kind of yellow algae about the size of a quarter and lots of purple coraline algae. I noticed what looks like some kind of leather attached to a rock. I have several narrow white tubes that look like tiny feather dusters I think. This during the course of the last week or so. Tonight I went and got five more snails for more Algae control. I started with nine snail a month ago. This did not seem to be enough. I also have five hermits and a couple of tiny two clawed crabs Im not sure what they are called. After putting them in the tank. I noticed a brownish purple--what looked like a cool piece of leather growing on a rock. I thought cool one more goody. I looked later in a few minutes and it had moved. WOW!!! I looked at it as it slowly started moving more. The head looks like a snail. Maybe some kind of Sea slung or something. Wait a few minutes somethings wrong here too. Its too big. I did not buy it. It appears to me to look like a snail that left its shell. Is this normal or do I really have an univited guest?

I wish I could post a picture!

Can anyone shed light on my mystery resident? Its about 2cm deep and about as big around as a quarter and as long as 1 1/8 inch

Does it look something similar to this guy. It's a sea hair. They come in a few different sizes/colors but they all pretty much look like that shape wise. If it is I would say I'll trade you some coral or something for him but if you have hair algae then you need him.DOH! They are the one true hair algae eaters that I know of. Cool find either way though. It's always fun to get freebies when you are first starting the tank. :D

post-3173-141867741271_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info! Stomatella is what it looks like. If I get a chance I will take a pic. Its hard to spot. It could be anywhere in the tank? What could have brought him to my tank? Maybe he was smaller on one of my live rocks when I bought it or something?

Im reluctant to put to many algae eaters in at once. I dont want to put in more than my tank will support. I want the critters to have stuff to eat. As soon as I see the results I want I will stop adding. I will wait and see what the latest additions do.