Wavy Sea review

WAVES

I recieved my wavysea order today, thought I would pass on some initial thoughts.

Seaswirl

thin cheap plastic housing

Wavysea

hardcore thick robust case

Seaswirl

180 degree rotation

Wavysea

1 degree upto 360 degree rotation

Seaswirl

one speed

Wavysea

6 speed options

Seaswirl

One way mounting bracket

Wavysea

6-8 or so different mounting postions

Seaswirl

Careful not to turn it, You'll break it!!

Wavysea

Robust motor, no worries pulling off fittings

Hands down this is a much better product, abit alot more expensive as well. MSRP $269.99

Cool features:

Easy to program takes like 20 seconds

multiple fittings, input output etc, even accepts 1" PVC (output) so you can do anything with it.

as stated lots of mounting options.

Things I dont like about Wavysea, or that could be improved:

no fittings to hard plumb the unit (only nylon hose fittings), and only at 90 degrees, not verticle

Programming is lost if power goes out. (unit then stays still until you reset the program) why not a battery!?

I wish you could do random speed, maybe each rotation it changes from speed 1 then 2 etc etc.

No variable speed when using 360 degree spin rotation, although you can have it go 360 back and forth with variable speed.

I have an "open box" model here at the shop, feel free to drop by and take it for a test drive.

Another cool thing that I've seen on the Wavy Sea is an attachment for a Tunze stream; so you could have the stream going back and forth and the output from your pump too. A very cool idea and a nice looking device, wish they were cheaper though, then I'd put 2 on my new tank...

Here is a pic of the tunze adapter:

accessories_tunzeadapter_large.jpg

See Id rather not have that big clunker in my tank. I simply hate powerheads....

Rich is your return that deep in the tank? I hope you have a pretty big hole drilled out to prevent back syphon.

I suppose though this device is mounted way above the tank water...

It is a cool mounting bracket, I just dont like looking at powerheads :)

hey Rich how is that new AO tank working out?! Ive got 2 coming next week, as well as one to replace my home tank in a few weeks.... STOKED!!

Joel,

I'm not going to get one of those wave sea devices, they are just to expensive for my blood. I just thought that they had a neat design with adding the Tunze adapters. That said I don't like how deep it puts them in your tank it would be hitting the back of the rocks and in the front it would look very ugly.

The AO tank is awesome, the quality on it is 2nd to none I'm very happy with the purchase. What are your tank stats?

the standard wavysea doesnt go down into the water much at all, actually its less distance than a seaswirl.

Im not sure why they used that extra 4" or so adapter at the top, must be because it was mounted well above the top of the tank.

Even so it has it really low without that 4".

It sure would be an expensive powerhead spinner, man I would DIY something before I would drop that cash if you were only using it to turn a powerhead.

My tank is replacing my existing tank, so its 48 x 30 x 25, (one inch taller than mine). the closed loop is going all through the bottom, I have a CL intake design that will be a part of my overflow box. You can see it on the attachment, the squares on the sides are being lazer cut out of the glass, and Ill be making screens for them with black egg crate and black mesh.

Mine is still a month out, hopefully sooner, they are slipping me in since Im on my 3rd tank from them already.

Waves-overflowintake.jpg

Joelstankdrawing.jpg