considering a seio or maxi jet mod....

reefgeek84

Ok, I really like my closed loop... I really do not want unslightly power heads in my tank, but I am wanting slightly more water agetation. So I am not going to spend a ridiculous amount of money for tunzes...I have two maxi-jet 900's that I can either buy the pieces from someone and add the mod to it or I can go seio...I have heard bad things about seio, but I have also heard that the new ones are much better.

What do you all think?

Well, I was sold on the Maxijet mod... until I started having problems. At first, they worked fine. Then one started having re-start problems, then the other. I've just replaced one with a Seio 820, and will probably replace the other with a Seio soon-- until the Tunze controllable Nano Streams come out in December.

I'm a big fan of DIY, but in this case they just aren't worth the trouble to me. If they had cut out while I was off camping, I could have lost the whole tank. Seio's aren't famous for their reliability, but if you keep them clean they're supposed to do ok.

YMMV, of course.

Yeah, that is what I heard about the mod...That is why I was thinking the sieo's...Like I said my tank has a good closed loop on it, I just want to add more more agetation to it..so even if the seio failed and did not work, I would not lose my water movement...I just do not want the seio to leach anything or heat up the tank if it gets stuck or something.

I personally have sold hundreds of Seios and have only had 2 that had problems from the get go. The problems usually occur from impellers from what I understand but even then I do think that it happens all that often. Hopefully they will also be getting that elusive controller on the market here pretty soon. When you get ready to buy one I guarantee that I can get you a price on one better than anyone else on a new one. I just set up some 2600s in some of our reef tanks and I like them. The only problem with the 2600s is that they don't sell them with the over tank mount anymore just the suction cups but I will be talking to the RIO rep about that on the 26th.

I love the MJmod. No probs, but i haven't run one constantly yet. I'm getting very frusterated with the seios. I put in a freshly cleaned one right before i left on vacation and came home to a hot stopped pump and some pissed off acros. Luckily it had only been a day or so and everything came out fine. They are also a complete PAIN to restart. I have to remove the endcap and spin the impeller by hand to get it to start, all out of the water. Then when you put it in the water it stops!! All i need is a smaller prop for my MJmod then i'm done with the seios except for mixing water and such.

I installed my Seio 820 last night, and so far so good. We'll see how I feel about it a couple of months down the line ;)

Initial observations are:

• The mounting options are very nice. I was able to modify the ball/socket mount by adding a nylon nut/bolt/wingnut combo so it mounts nicely to my eurobracing. No chance of suction cups failing.
  • It flows very hard. I had to dial it down to minimum, at 100% it was really ticking off my various Euphyllia. I'd guess it is ~ +50% more powerful than my MJ600 + Octura 1435
  • It's smooth. My modded Maxijets vibrated in the tank.. not a lot, not noisy just shaky. Might just be the better mounting on the Seio

I personally have sold hundreds of Seios and have only had 2 that had problems from the get go. The problems usually occur from impellers from what I understand but even then I do think that it happens all that often. Hopefully they will also be getting that elusive controller on the market here pretty soon. When you get ready to buy one I guarantee that I can get you a price on one better than anyone else on a new one. I just set up some 2600s in some of our reef tanks and I like them. The only problem with the 2600s is that they don't sell them with the over tank mount anymore just the suction cups but I will be talking to the RIO rep about that on the 26th.

What do you suggest sean...tank is 50 gal corner pentagon...I already have around 1000gph running through the closed loop...what one do you think I would need? I just want more water agetation.

I too like seio, I havent had any problems with the 10 I have running here at the shop.

Seio and Tunze have a broad flow pattern, they dont have a JET stream like maxijet (non mod), the flow is broad enough to gain lots of water movement without taking the flesh off your corals from the flow.

I wish the 2700 had the over the top mounting bracket, be sure and kick Kevin for me when you see him, suction cups suck.

Sean, be careful about posting pricing etc in the main boards. I would recommend keeping that in your own forum. PMs are fantastic as well.

Sorry it was late and I didn't think about where I was posting the prices.

Reefgeek are you wanting to do SPS or a mixed tank? What you want to keep will have a lot to do with what size you want.

I will definately kick Kevin in the butt. Definately have some suggestions on some things that can be done differently with the mounting because those suction cups are definately worthless particularly when mounting up one of the big boys.

I have SPS now...everything is very happy in my tank now as it is...My closed loop with my OM works well...I just have it set up to where it is pointing down and to the center of the tank where all the coral is, so I am wanting something to just move water in the tank all over.