Lighting my 55

aqua-ed

I've moved into my new digs and it is time to start setting up my 55g I bought a while back. The only thing I still need to plan out is my lighting. I have a 165W PC retrofit that I will use, but also would like to put in a MH. Is that too much? Should I only use one or the other? I figure the PCs to go the length, and the MH in the middle with my SPS corals in the middle of the tank.

Also what size, type, color, MH should I go with?

Thanks in advance!

-Lee

6 bulb T5HO TEK light. It is good over my 75, and it rocked over my tank when I had the 45L.

If not that, then add two 150 (or even 250) MH. Use a 14K bulb for good color and growth combination.

Use the PC for actinic, or as a doorstop, paperweight, or other desk ornamentation. I know... Get some super actinic, and use the PC as a blacklight in your classroom. :)

COME GET THOSE SNAILS AND HERMITS FROM ME!!! They are slowly dying in my tank because I have so many of them. The hermits fight to the death over any small amount of food that I put in the tank. Keep them in your home tank until you get your school tank set up.

dsoz

6 bulb T5HO TEK light. It is good over my 75, and it rocked over my tank when I had the 45L.

If not that, then add two 150 (or even 250) MH. Use a 14K bulb for good color and growth combination.

Use the PC for actinic, or as a doorstop, paperweight, or other desk ornamentation. I know... Get some super actinic, and use the PC as a blacklight in your classroom. :)

COME GET THOSE SNAILS AND HERMITS FROM ME!!! They are slowly dying in my tank because I have so many of them. The hermits fight to the death over any small amount of food that I put in the tank. Keep them in your home tank until you get your school tank set up.

dsoz

feed them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1(laugh)

Andy' date=' are you running HQI? That seems a little much on a 55.[/quote']

Radiums on electronic ballasts, so it's not as bad as it could be but it's still borderline too-much in my book. When I bought them, I was looking to the future (a 24" deep tank sometime); if I knew I was going to stay with a shallower tank I probably would have stuck with 175W.

• 2 weeks later...