sliced and diced rbta!

lancecobb1

Today i woke up and did the same thing i do every morning and went and checked on my tank!

When i looked in it i could not find my rose. It stayed on the same rock for about 4 months but the last couple of days it has been moving around alot. I turned the lights on and saw it chopped up inside my koralia 4! (flame)DOH! At least my clowns dont mind. They are kind of retarded and never found it. Well i guess ill have to get another one someday!

So sorry to hear about that. I had that happen when my stuff was in a temporary holding tub when my tank started leaking, and I had to set up a new tank quickly. I told myself that I would not buy another anemone again, but ended up baby-sitting one for another member. Now it has split, and I get to keep half!

Have you seen this?

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

It shows how to make screens for anemones. IDK how it would work with a Koralia, but all intakes to pumps should be covered with some sort of screen.

If it is not too bad chopped up, let it remove itself from the koralia. There is just a chance that it will heal up and be fine. Sometimes the stress of being chopped up will cause it to split into several small anemones. These will grow up and you could sell them later.

You are right. Most clowns are stupid and can't find anemones. :)

dsoz

My BTA got stuck in my Koralia...it was so twisted! I tried as well to keep it alive, but eventally it mushed out. Definately keep it separate from the tank...the toxins produced while injured may not be such a good thing.

As for the link that Dsoz sent...no real way to cover the Koralia and keep the flow.

Good luck.

Kris

How big of a tank? If it is larger than a 55g, then having a dead BTA in there for a little while will probably not crash the tank. If you left a dead one in there for a week and let it rot... Tank crash. Make sure you take it out if it starts looking bad (fuzzy, bloated, decaying, and stinky).

Otherwise I would say put it in a low flow area of the tank with the rock that it is attached to. Maybe put it half in the shade, and half out in the light. It will decide whether it wants to be protected or open to the light for photosynthesis.

There are some people that routinely cut RBTA's in half with a knife to make them split. If it is still fighting for life, don't give up on it. :)

dsoz

I have had the same issue only with my closed system return. Two so far have ventured in! One did manage to survive once I pulled him out. For some reason they are very attracted to living on the wild side right next to the vent. No matter where I put one in the tank, they always end up next to the return. If you can salvage a part - you might be able to save them.

RBTA

I had a pretty large one that wert through the grid on my hang on overflow box. and through the U tube. It looked liked it was shreded body and all guts hanging out. I put o a glove and as gently as I could I scooped it out. While in my hand it fell into pieces!!!! I thought it was gone but I dropped the pieces in the tank anyway. A couple of weeks later one came crawling out from behind the rocks! The a while later another one. then another!!!! So from 1 RBTA I went to 3......... So I thought!!!!DOH!

A month after I found the last little RBTA, I was cleaning my tank out good and was checking my tubing and overflow box like I do every other month or so and there it was another little perfectly formed and healed RBTA............. Soooo do not give up hope at all!!!! If it is holding onto the rocks it I would think it will probly be ok...... Good luck!!!!

Well, when i checked on it today it moved off his little piece of rock that i put him on and now it is under a ledge hanging upside down! I think the main thing that got chopped up were its tenticles, only a couple are out and full. Now that its opend up it looks like the body is all there. Now that you said you got four out of one that got chopped up, maybe ill run it back through the power head!(laugh) Just joking! mybe ill take some more pics later to day to show the progress! Thanks for all the help!!