Need help with overflow noise

Smann

My overflow is the loudest part of my tank. Its inside the tank, center about 4"x5" and runs from top to bottom, it also has a return line back up. I have a 1" piece of pvc about 5" with holes drilled comming up, I cannot reach all the way down to put a foam filter on the pipe (or remove to clean)

Any ideas? (scratch)

Durso my friend. Can you cap the pipe? If so, add a "T" to the top of the pipe...from there add a small piece of PVC to the part that extends "horizontally" and a small piece that extends "vertically". Put a cap on the top of the one coming "up" out of the "t" and then put a Steet Elbow on the one extending horizontally. The "open" end of the elbow should point down to the bottom of the tank. This is a durso....

www.dursostandpipes.com

I use "externals" on my tank and they are quite as can be...now to hush my return, skimmer and closed loop pumps!

Kris

I have a 1" piece of pvc about 5" with holes drilled comming up' date=' I cannot reach all the way down to put a foam filter on the pipe (or remove to clean)[/quote']

Does it matter how high or low I put it in the overflow

The water level of the overflow box should about an inch or two below the top of the overflow. This will help prevent the waterfall effect that both creates noise and bubbles.

Here is a picture of a modification to the durso for when space is a factor:

dursomod.jpg

I'll be making some more of these when I redo my tank and posting the procedures in the DIY forum if you want to see specifically how it's done.

The water level of the overflow box should about an inch or two below the top of the overflow. This will help prevent the waterfall effect that both creates noise and bubbles.

Here is a picture of a modification to the durso for when space is a factor:

+1 This is the Stockman Version of the Durso. It is what I use as I have limited space in my overflow. If you Google Stockman you should find the DIY pretty easliy. My overflow sounded like a toliet flushing, but since installing this version all you hear is the water cascading down the pipe. I also went from 1" pipe out of the overflow to 1.5" back to 1" where it connects to my sump.

I'd rather create an herbie style overflow drain. It's for backup just incase the main tube get's clogged. Peace of mind for me to have a secondary drain. It's also very silent, not even water running down the pipes. The only noise coming from my tank are from the sump. The pumps for the skimmer and return are noisy....

Herbie style? Can you elaborate?

Kris

The picture should give you an idea. You can pretty much do the 2 drains however you want, you don't have to follow the image, as long as there is a back up if the main line get's clogged.

What you don't see in the image is the gate valve to control the flow. You are matching the drain to the rate of return. Using the gate valve, you have to adjust how fast water is draining so just adjust it until it is silent!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=344892

51214Silent_overflow_3.jpg

My vote for Herbie as well, its what I did on my personal tank, as well as on a number of customers.

Its more quiet then other methods because there is NO air in the pipes. IF you have the output into the sump underwater as well, no splashing sounds, no gurgling and not even pipe noise.

Down side, it requires 2 holes.

Lot of good info, Thanks to all(rock2). I do have limited room and access so I will look at the Durso or version of. I have my new sump in place along with the refugium behind the tank,testing it with a pump and fresh water now(only one small leak) so when I get ready to tap it all into the system i will work on the overflow

This is what its all about(clap)

Cool on the herbie...I will be having my tank drilled soon and am always looking for new ways. It is obvious though that this is a "bottom drilled" overflow. I am still (heavily) entertaining the thought of going with a horizontal overflow across the back of the tank. We'll see how that idea stands after a few LFS visits.

Kris

Guest Moderator2
Cool on the herbie...I will be having my tank drilled soon and am always looking for new ways. It is obvious though that this is a "bottom drilled" overflow. I am still (heavily) entertaining the thought of going with a horizontal overflow across the back of the tank. We'll see how that idea stands after a few LFS visits.

Kris

I think it breaks down to weather you want the tank flush with the back wall or pushed away, the sacrifice is if you push against the wall you then lose the real estate in the tank for a bottom drilling overflow, choices choices...!

I think it breaks down to weather you want the tank flush with the back wall or pushed away' date=' the sacrifice is if you push against the wall you then lose the real estate in the tank for a bottom drilling overflow, choices choices...![/quote']

The tank will be flush (well as flush as it can be) as I am plumbing out to the garage. I have seen an idea before for a horizontal overflow using a pvc pipe with a slit cut across the top. I believe it was here somewhere but I am too (lazy) tired to look for the thread, LOL. I am thinking of using a 1" to 1 and 1/2 inch ABS pipe...with dual bulkheads.

I am still waiting to see some other examples of overflows... I definately do not want a HOB as I fear the siphon loss and flooding.

Kris