Need help with overflow noise

Smann

If you have a 2" black pvc pipe with slits in it and just down size it to lets say about 1" and then 90 straight out the back of the tank wont work. if you are using acrylic, the back of the tank will flex and the bulk head will be angled upward not letting enough flow come out. If you put a stand pipe on the back you will get water flow but barly any. ive seen other people 90 down and then 90 out the back, and that seems to work, but they complain about noise. i think it has somthing to do with the amout of water pressure. there is less pressure closer to the surface.

The tank will be flush (well as flush as it can be) as I am plumbing out to the garage. I have seen an idea before for a horizontal overflow using a pvc pipe with a slit cut across the top. I believe it was here somewhere but I am too (lazy) tired to look for the thread, LOL. I am thinking of using a 1" to 1 and 1/2 inch ABS pipe...with dual bulkheads.

I am still waiting to see some other examples of overflows... I definately do not want a HOB as I fear the siphon loss and flooding.

Kris

Kris here is the link to Uhurus old 40 breeder with the horizontal overflow http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7000 As for the 90s it looks like there are 2 in the tank and also 2 outside the tank to go to the sump. I know I had my 90 2 inchs off the wall as the overflow was inside the tank and went through the bottom of the tank. Does your tank have an internal overflow box now or not? If the bottom is not tempered you could drill it and make one just a thought. As for hi-jacking the thread think it is already happened(laugh) But have not heard from Smann so maybe the overflow issue has been taken care of. Steve are you out there(scratch)

Yes Yes' date=' been in the garage working on the plumbing parts for the durso!. actually built a "overflow simulator" and tried all the methods, settled on the durso for my paticular situation. Will install tomorrow and let you know:)[/quote']

Remember pics are good:D

I dont hink I can get a picture of my overflow, its inside, back wall of the tank with the hood on you cant see down in even from the back. I do have to move the hood forward and have my son reach down in(my arm wont fit) to remove the old stand pipe thats only about 6" tall. but I will try