Not new to the hobby, just Oregon.

ghiggi

Hi all,

I just recently moved to Springfield from Las Vegas. I've been into saltwater for about 8 years now. Started with an Aggressive FOWLR with Tangs, Lions and Eels. Then converted to a reef about 2 years ago. Since I did the move in stages over the coarse of 3 months, I knew I wouldn't have the time to care for the system or get it moved and setup properly, so I gave away all of my livestock and corals and completely tore down the system.

It was a 135g tall with a 40g fully planted refugium. It took me over 2 years, but I finally managed to get a fully balanced bio-system. The main tank had a 6 inch sandbed with 180lbs of LR, some clowns, my 2 favorite tangs and some inverts. The refugium had a 3 inch sand/mud bottom, 22 mangrove trees, chaeto and shaving brush. The only equipment I had was my heater, auto-top-off and return pump (Mag 18). No filters, skimmers or powerheads. The return pump went through a modded SCWD wavemaker with 4 returns (2 on each side) pumping about 1200gph through the system. For lighting, I had dual 400W MH 12k with 4x96W PC true actinic on a 14 hour cycle.

Now that I'm finally settled up here, I'm ready to start rebuilding. This time I'm going for a reef and clown breeder system. In the past, I made a bunch of my own LR and I saw a post recently where someone mentioned covering the bottom of the tank with aragocrete bricks and a light layer of sand. This sounded rather interesting, so I think I am going to start there and do an entire self made aragocrete aquascape from the bottom up. No real LR will be used. It should prove to be an interesting experiment.

Of coarse, it will take a few months for all of the aragocrete to cure, but I thought I'd stop by and say hello. Maybe I can make it too a meeting or two before the system is ready. I'm shooting for Christmas or New Years to have it up and ready. And then the real fun begins, filling it with live things.

Anyway, from the postings that I've read, it seems you all have a good group here. I look forward to meet you all sometime soon.

Glenn

aka - ghiggi

How did I miss saying welcome as well?

A complete agarocrete system sounds interesting to me. How are you going to get some of the more interesting forms of life in your tank? Pods, worms, feather-dusters, and things like that. I can see how it will reduce your chances of pests from the rocks, but there is a lot of good stuff that comes in on rocks.

dsoz

Well then, I missed this as also...(welcome)

Keep us posted on your new project, I work in town so if you ever want to meet up to say hi or need help with a project or simply just want to talk over a idea let me know, always happy to lend a second pair of hands or idea.

Wow, first no replies and now I'm going to get typers cramp from responding to them all. Oh well, here goes.

WOW I was going through older threads and saw this one. I apologize if I missed saying WELCOME TOAD:) I am rather surprised that there wasn't anyone else here from the 5Th of September. That is really not like this group.:)

No apologies needed. I'm sorta a night owl and kinda slipped this one in during the wee hours of the morning.

welcome from me as well!

I am still living in las vegas though and used to live in eugene/springfield area....lol

were u a member of the vegas reef club? maybe we met before...

Yea I was. My last meeting was in November and if my memory serves me correctly, you joined in October (I remember your user id) but I'm not sure if we met.

Welcome to the PNWMAS Forums Glenn!

Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you would like to be added to our Evite list to receive notifications of upcoming PNWMAS Meetings and Events!

Done, thanks.

How did I miss saying welcome as well?

A complete agarocrete system sounds interesting to me. How are you going to get some of the more interesting forms of life in your tank? Pods, worms, feather-dusters, and things like that. I can see how it will reduce your chances of pests from the rocks, but there is a lot of good stuff that comes in on rocks.

dsoz

and

Heya and welcome. Stuff always hitchhikes in on frags' date=' but I would guess that would be a really slow way to get coraline growth and the other benficial critters dsoz is speaking of. Maybe get a few pounds of quality LR to seed with? Sounds like you have a good plan overall...cant wait to see the progress.[/quote']

When I said "no LR will be used" I was only referring to the main display. I plan on putting some quality seeded live rock in the 40g refugium and a thin layer of live sand in the main display. This should give me ample material for seeding the system. Hopefully, if I can get quality stuff, it should be loaded with plenty of macro and micro fauna.

Well then, I missed this as also...(welcome)

Keep us posted on your new project, I work in town so if you ever want to meet up to say hi or need help with a project or simply just want to talk over a idea let me know, always happy to lend a second pair of hands or idea.

Thanks for the offer. I just may take you up on that when it's time to move everything into place. I'll start a thread in Memebers Tanks and get some pictures posted as things progress.

(worthless)

Let us see some pictures! Welcome to the club!

Not sure a bare tank is really picture worthy. But I will get some posted when I starting working on it.

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I look forward to meeting everyone eventually.

On a side note, I'm really a DIY kinda person. I hate buying something if I can build it myself. It has nothing to do with saving money, believe me. I have spent more money on trial and error than it would have cost to just buy the item. I just like to build things. It helps me understand how and why the work which in turn gives me a better understanding of how they interact with the reef. It's all about learning. So if anyone needs help on a project, feel free to ask. I have a whole shop full of tools and weekends off.