Frag Tank Light

drock59

I really dont think a 6 or 8 bulb Teklight would save any money over a single 250 or 400w with a good reflector. There is no way. The initial cost is 2-3 times the amount and have fun replacing all those bulbs. I love T5's but I think that if you can get away with one halide that is the way to go. Later Ryan

I suggested the T-5 tek for maximum growth. Its my understanding the purpose of a frag tank is to grow out coral frags for sale or trade right? well the 8 bulb would get you growing faster and making returns on your coral investments sooner but yeah bulbs arent cheap. if cost is a consideration then look for a good used halide reflector. I know they dont make a 8 bulb any longer but can still be found used. 6 bulb would be awesome too.

Explain Sammy :)

Very well... T5 reflectors spread light. None are designed to project light 100% downward. Therefore the width of the reflector doesn't mean it's only good for that area. For the average situation, 5" +/-above the tank, you can reasonably get around 5-6" of quality output from a single tube. Visible light is obviously going to be quite a bit wider, but that doesn't necessarily grow corals. 1 T5 covering a 4.5" area is not a stretch. Now, if you add tubes, cross illumination occurs, and the tank gets brighter in the 5-6" area you "can" illuminate with a single tube. Make sense?

40 breeder is my main tank and 8 bulb 36" teklight is my lighting i just replaced all bulbs with new gueismen bulbs it was like 180 bucks just for bulbs but im sure theyl be good for a year. im doing one midday 1 actinic and the rest are daylights. i still have nice color and growth is amazing. the 8 bulb teklights pop up used all the time for like 300

I really dont think a 6 or 8 bulb Teklight would save any money over a single 250 or 400w with a good reflector. There is no way. The initial cost is 2-3 times the amount and have fun replacing all those bulbs. I love T5's but I think that if you can get away with one halide that is the way to go. Later Ryan

i dont really think the bulb cost is too different. the metal halides have to be replaced about once a year to maintain max efficiency, and the T5 maintains PAR for about 2 years. metal halide bulbs are $25 to $90 each, and T5 bulbs are about $20 each for any of the good manufacturers. the amount of electricity saved will be huge. i would say a TEK light is a good option. they have great reflectors and ballasts, so you get the MOST efficiency and light output for the fixture. you could probably go with a 4 or 6 bulb fixture and have great results. and i can tell you this and feel confident, as i wish i had done it on my main tank, instead i have metal halides.

For that size tank I also think T5s are the best option and they give you a lot of flexibility of color temp and par with diff bulb choices. But I wouldn't say the electricity savings would be huge. 6 39w T5 bulbs are 234w total, which really isn't significantly less than a 250w halide.

Electricity costs are a minor difference in the T5 favor, but nowhere near enough to make it the deciding factor. Lamp replacement costs are going to be about the same with 6 lamps as MH as well. It's going to come down to preference. This thread could go forever, lol.

The only real reasons I would pick the T5 option are that you can fine tune the color and get a wider mix of spectrums running together. You can count on a more even spread of light in your frag tank. You won't have to worry about placement of your corals as much. That's basically it.

Speaking from experience I would go with the halides, 2 175's would rock over that breeder. I would go with the halides since your wanting to do mostly sps. If you were only going to use it for lps, zoas, and shrooms then I would go with the t5's. I have a 20 breeder frag tank with 4 HO t5's and i am looking for a 250 halide to replace them. When i move sps frags from the display to the frag tank their growth slows and their colors dull. Since the frag tank is inline with the display I know it has nothing to do with water quality. IME their is a significant difference going from the mh to the t5's. I'm a t5 lover too and they definitely serve a purpose, but they just can't compete with H.I.D. point source lighting.

Speaking from experience I would go with the halides' date=' 2 175's would rock over that breeder. I would go with the halides since your wanting to do mostly sps. If you were only going to use it for lps, zoas, and shrooms then I would go with the t5's. I have a 20 breeder frag tank with 4 HO t5's and i am looking for a 250 halide to replace them. When i move sps frags from the display to the frag tank their growth slows and their colors dull. Since the frag tank is inline with the display I know it has nothing to do with water quality. IME their is a significant difference going from the mh to the t5's. I'm a t5 lover too and they definitely serve a purpose, but they just can't compete with H.I.D. point source lighting.[/quote']

There is a huge between your display lights and your 4 T5 lamps, no question. Do you run 250's on your display? Do you supplement them with VHO/T5/PC? What is your T5 lamp configuration? How old are the bulbs? What about flow differences?

You should tell us more about your system before we conclude that the T5's are really causing your color fading/decreasing growth.

see this thread http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8654. should answer any and all questions any should have in more detail than I'm about to here. yes I run 2 250 mh on display 15k xm. yes i supplement with HO t5's both giesemann pure actinics. T5's over frag tank are 2 24w pure actinic and 2 24w aquablues. All 4 over frag tank are being overdriven w/ vho ballast. bulbs in display are all 8 months old. Bulbs over frag are 3 months old. Flow differences.... frag has a korallia 3 display runs a scwd with eductors so i would say the flow is less in the frag tank but more constant and stronger in the display but not constant.