Wanted: Coralline Algae Scrapings

downhill_biker

I am looking for someone in the Eugene area that I can get some Coralline Algae Scrapings from. I am willing to come over and do the work, and clean your glass. If anyone has some coralline let me know. I am having a hard time seeding my tank, it has been running for about a year now and has almost no coralline algae.

How are your calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, and iodine levels? Without these, coraline has a hard time growing.

I know once I started to dose Kalk to my tank, the coraline really took off. Now I need to scrape my glass often. If it goes more than a week I can't see my corals.

If you do make it to Oregon City, you can have as many scrapings as you want. Run a siphon hose through a net into the sump and vacuum up the scrapings while the razor blade is doing the work.

Good luck.

dsoz

i am having difficulties keeping the ca and alk high enough with my demands. i am just learning, but have been only dosing kalk, and it just isn't enough. however it never seems to drop below 380ppm and 8dKH. mag is up at 1300-1400 ish, i use a red sea kit, not super accurate, but good enough. i dont dose iodine, but do weekly water changes. i have iodine so i will start doing light dosing. i am having a hard time trying to find a good bulk calcium supplement. i know i can use baking soda for alk, but DowFlake is not available here on west coast, and everything else is so expensive, especially after shipping.

I know Joel at Waves has bulk calcium chloride.

At most home improvement stores there is stuff used to dry (dehumidify) air. It is anhydrous calcium chloride. You could pick up a small bag of it and use it to increase calcium.

Also you could use an acid (vinegar or muriatic work well) and add it to the kalk. It will increase the calcium that you get from it, but decrease the alk (just add baking soda to the tank like you mentioned).

If you use muriatic acid, it turns the kalk into calcium chloride. You can get muriatic acid at home depot. I got some three years ago, and I think it was like $10 for two gallons. JUST DON'T BREATH THE VAPORS!!!!!! And be careful to not splash any on yourself, your clothing, or anything else you value.

If you use vinegar, it turns kalk into calcium acetate. With the vinegar, then you may have trouble with bacterial blooms again.

HTH

dsoz

I have plenty of coralline algae growing in both my tanks.

You are welcome and "harvest" some. Not sure how to best go about getting it out, though.

Use a 1/3rd of an inch diameter hose going into a bucket. Using a scrapper, scrap up towards the top of the tank slowly while siphoning off water. Hold the hose at the top of the scrapper so it's pulling the coralline in. Have a sock on the other end of the hose.

Sound like a plan?

Get a water change and scrapping at the same time. :)

I need coralline too :)

As for kalk, pickling lime, which should be available at Walmart this time of year, is available as well.

I've been considering using a modified Calfo method for dosing kalk in my tank: he uses a shot glass, dissolves a small amount into it some tank water, and dumps it directly in.

I was thinking of using vinegar ( like 1 ml ) with a small amount, dissolving the kalk, and doing a daily dose. I want to add sugar to up my bacteria count anyway, and this sounds like it would kill 2 birds with one stone.