New to PNWMAS (Redmond, Oregon)

kdriscoll

Hey everyone! I'm Kevin. I'm pretty new to reefing (less than a year). I have kept saltwater fish for over 6 years. So the reefing is still pretty new to me. I live in Redmond, Oregon. I'm hoping to join the club and start attending some events.

Does anyone know of any reefers in my area?

Well just wanted to say Hi. I figured that is my first step.

Welcome! :)

Yes there are some in your area. Flyguy and miniwhinny are two that come to mind. If you can try to make it to the corals farmer market in Portland. It is on August 2nd. Many members of this club will be there, and it would be a great way to get some nice corals.

Tell us about your system, and make sure to post some pictures of your tanks. :)

dsoz

Well I see if I can show up. Maybe good time to join too.

My system is a 155 gallon Glass system.

380watts CF

Dual 400watt 20K radium Metal halide.

About 3 inches of sugar size sand

About 150 lbs of live rock.

I have a few polyps (Green star, ect)

Candy cane coral, Dunkin.

pair of clowns.

Slow start. Thats why I'm hoping to find locals with livestock and information

It has been a slow rough start. But I think I'm getting the hang of things. Now lets just hope I see some growth soon.

Actually the Duncan is only a single head right now. I got him from Bill (Flyguy) few months back. Is is starting to take a run for the better. Maybe down the road.

Tell you the truth I have been having a hard time to get things to reproduce. I have seen only a extra head on one of my polyps. I have had them for about 4 months now. I have been a little frustrated. All my water parms. are great. I'm sure I have enough lights and water movement. (Mag 12, two koralia 4 and to maxi 1200+ upgrades. Maybe it just takes even more time. Any ideas?

Well I'm sure I will make it up there for the CFM. Maybe if your willing to sell some?

I feed my duncan, frogspawn, hammer, acan and favia freeze-dried plankton. I squish the plankton underwater for a few minutes to hydrate it then use tweezers to place a piece near wherever there is a mouth. The tentacles "attack" the food, then the mouth opens and draws the food inside. It takes somewhere between 5 and 15 minutes to feed everyone. I do this somewhere between 2 times a week and every other week (depends on how busy my schedule is).

When they are fed more consistently, they tend to grow faster. But it is still a slow process.

I have a couple heads of frogspawn that I could sell for $10 each. We can work out the details later if you want.

dsoz

Hey welcome !!! Boy I'm sloooowwww in finding this thread DOH! I'm in Redmond also (between Redmond and Sisters) It's great to get another CO'er.

I'm feeding everything ROD's food. I get it from Oasis. I love it because it feeds everything all at once.

So ya got any pics of your tank?

I think John and Charise need to expand their shop...get one that has a "spare room" where we can all get together for meetings (naughty) now there are so many of us :D

Again, welcome.

Welcome to the club(rock2)

I am not local to you but am heading to Redmond in the future to do some work for a friend who just built a house there. If you want let me know and can bring some frags of zoos or sps whatever you like just let me know. Or can bring some things to the CFM if you decide to come up here. As for the Duncans just feed them they will grow(laugh) I had a 3 head one last year and now it is at least 35 heads on itDOH! They grow like a weed once they are happy. I just got another one a few months ago and it has tripled since puting on the sand bed.

Welcome Kevin,

It is good to have you consider our club. We are always looking for new members that are interested in supporting activities located more central in our state.

I will keep you posted as to what will be planned as events before the snow starts to fall.

Thanks

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fly guy (bill) I have had the pleasure of meeting Bill and seeing is beautiful tank. Great guy. I have checked out the Reef tank a few times. So far Im starting to think PNWMAS is taking the lead I actually spent more time on here than RC. wait, Did I say that out loud?

Fly guy (bill) I have had the pleasure of meeting Bill and seeing is beautiful tank. Great guy. I have checked out the Reef tank a few times. So far Im starting to think PNWMAS is taking the lead I actually spent more time on here than RC. wait' date=' Did I say that out loud?[/quote']

Funny you should say that....I think it was the other site that literally drove me away...I couldn't compete with those people! This is definately the place to be. I have met a lot of very knowledgable people here, and I think the laid back Oregon/Washington attituted plays through! Everyone is super nice and super helpful! One never has to worry about posting a thread and it being lost on the 3rd or 4th page in one day here!

I know many have said this...but Welcome.

Kris