How to setup my lighting.

Benny503

24" Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12109&rel=1

(True Actinic 65W, 12000K Daylight 65W, 2 Blue Moon LEDs)

Coralife Power Center Single Digital

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+9685+11379&pcatid=11379

Anyhow, my question is how long should I light my tank? Currently I setup daylight and Actinic on at the same from 9AM-11PM (yes, I woke up early and sleep late). From 11PM to 9AM the lunar LED on at all the time. I just need to know how many hours can I leave my fish tank on? I would like to achieve a somewhat "Dusk/Dawn", I think I remember something from dsoz saying his tank had actinic on 1 hour before the daylight anh stay 1 hour after the daylight off. With the equipments I am having right now it's posible to have it setup like that? Thanks all.

Lights on too long leads to algae problems. You may want to cut back your photoperiod. You need to decide when you like to look at your tank the most. I prefer at night after a long day at work, so my lights come on about noon, then I leave them on until about 9:00.

I was not the one that has actinic on first and last, but it is a common idea. I have all my lights on the same timer, and they all come on at once. Someday I may get a second timer and have them on/off at staggered times.

I would cut back your photoperiod to 8-10 hours. Moonlights can be on 24/7.

dsoz

I run actinics vho's from 1:00 to 1:30 and then the 10,000k vho's come on at 1:30 till 4 and then MH are on from 4 to 10 while the vho's go off. Both actinic and 10,000k vho's come on at 10 and MH go off, followed by the 10,000k at 11 and then the actinics at 11:30.

I have to have 3 timers but I too like the dusk to dawn effect.

I run 14,000k MH so I don't need to run actinic vho's.