Advice needed on new setup (40BR)

jfly

I need help deciding which reflector to use. It's going to be a 175w halide w/ t-5 actinics. I was originally thinking of getting a lumenarc mini but I'm not sure that I'll get enough spread on a 36" long tank without putting it really high above the water. I'm thinking that maybe a parabolic reflector would be better for a longer spread?

I don't think you'll find a reflector that gives much better spread than a lumenarc but keeps decent intensity. There's only so much you can do with a point-source light. Odd length tanks are frustrating to light with MH. I was thinking of a 5' 150gal, but have pretty much decided against it because of the overlit-with-3-bulbs vs underlit-with-2-bulbs problem.

I feel sorta like im in the same boat, just one less bulb in my equations. My big concern with the lumenarc is that it would provide a more intense light column that is going more straight down than a less efficient reflector. Maybe I should just get two. :P

Actually Jeff, The Parabolic will have more "hot spots" from all of the parallel lines bent into the reflector.

The lumenarc will cover 3' but only at about 12" off the top of the water(bottom of reflector not the bulb) You'd need a 15" tall canopy, or a pendant style setup where you can raise the unit to the right level but they you'd have alot of light spill in that room.

Ever consider a Tek Light?

I think a 15" tall canopy might look sorta silly on a 16" tall aquarium. :)

Yeah, i've considered the teks, but I'm just not sure I wanna do all t-5s and no halides. I need to check on that 8 bulb system they used to make. That would be nice. I could retrofit myself a 6 light setup with individual reflectors, too, but I really want that halide look.

If I had a nice tall aquarium like your 90 I'd be good to go with the lumenarc. I should just find myself a nice 30 cube, or one of those slightly wider 50's. Not as much linear distance to cover. That or get two bulbs.