Miniwhinny's Deep Sea Adventure

Miniwhinny

Very cool build. Can't wait until it's done! I had a very similar idea for my future tank' date=' it was to drill the middle of the bottom and have the overflow pipes come up from there. Then I was going to build the landscape around it, having everything hidden. Even the return would be undetectable. No pumps, or if there was, it would blend right in.[/quote']

Thanks Vans. Hey I think your idea of drilling the bottom and running water though the pipes is awesome. I haven't connected the PH's through the pipe yet but I'm eager to do so. I think it's going to be cool to have flow coming out at 8 different levels and angles.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt put sand under the pvc. just put the tower directly on the glass and then cover with sand. If you had a goby or other sand sifting critter they would eventually undermine the stability of the structure. sand shifts too much. but looking really good so far!

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that ! DOH!

014-1.jpg

Got water, got sand, got heat, got salt. Just have to leave everything to settle down. When the temp and salinity are at the right place I'm going to spend the next couple of days swopping water. I'm going to pull 5 gallons from the new and at the same time 5 from the old and pour each back into the opposite tanks that the water came from twice a day until both tanks have similar water quality. Then I think I'll be safe to swop over my live rock and critters without stressing anyone. If anyone has another suggestion please let me know but I think this will work.

Thank you.

Okay, moved everything over last night and today everyone seems very happy. I think the fish think they've been swept out to sea hehehe. I have my softies down low and SPS up high. Things are going to look fairly blah for a while until the base rock tower loses it's pure white coloration. ALso there are some PVC holes showing...they'll be filled in when I can get some nice SPS. The holes (it's 1/2 inch tubing) are the perfect size for the frag plugs to perch inside.

So here's some pics.

Here's Kermit (yup...Froggie) sitting right into his PVC hole in the sand

47c.jpg

and here's a couple of full tank shots. I'm really glad people have enjoyed this build. Things will slow down now but I sure can picture what it will look like when I have some growth going on (and new "stuff") :D

472.jpg

471.jpg

That is just about one of the sweetest tanks that I have seen! Great job. All you need to do is come near Portland and I'll give you two or three monti cap frags (orange and two different purples). :) That would look AWESOME having them on the outcrop just up and to the right of the red anemone (or is that your bubble mushroom?). Although gas would cost you as much as buying frags local.

dsoz

Wow guys, thank you SO much for the kind words. I did have a good laugh 'scaping this thing...I've learned NOT to wear anything with sleeves when you have a 30 inch deep tank and your arms measure 27 inches from start to end HAHAHAHHA...Almost took a dive more than once hehehe.

I really do appreciate the comments. Maybe I just graduated from Newb to Beginner :D

Oh Dsoz...that looks like an awesome spot for a cap or two. That's my red bubble 'shroom in the middle...and here is your baby. The bumps aren't obvious yet but the color is coming in nicely.

47a.jpg

I'll be heading to PDX a few times this summer but not this month. I'll let you know when I come and I'll bring your baby.

Gosh Spectra..thanks for the offer :D

Haven't got the PH hooked up yet. I want to purchase a new one and some tubing. It'll be easy to hook up. All I have to do is get some tubing that's slightly thinner than the PVC and just insert it into the pipe and connect it to the PH outlet. I'm going to run it from behind the tower to the hole that's behind the one you can see in the center front. That way the flow will be entering mid way. I'm presuming the flow will be at it's max near that area dropping off as it gets away. I think it will be cool to have flow (at any pressure) coming from about a dozen different directions.

I'll post about it as soon as I get it done. May be a week or so...got to buy hay this week lol !!!!

Sorry about the poor art work but here's where (in theory) the water should be coming out.

007a.jpg

I love your rock idea that is sweet. Im going to copy it ;) I have a 125 gallon im setting up and want to do 2 rock spires one on each end with an arch connecting the two rock towers

roy

Than sound great!! Make sure you share it when it's being done. It's been a few days now and everything looks very happy :D Hardest thing now is being patient...I want to run out and fill it with frags lol DOH!

• 2 weeks later...

Made a couple of changes this past week.

First, I removed the sand ! I knew I shouldn't have put it in there and that it would drive me batty lol DOH! I obsessed over watching the detritus collect rather than being able to remove it (whistle) SO I spent all day removing it. I'm happy again hehehe, my ph's are blasting the scum away and I'm sucking out the rest using a filter sock.

This is my other change

a-1.jpg

b-1.jpg

c-1.jpg

d-1.jpg

Oh I love this fish, she's really somthing to watch cruising the corals. I've always wanted a Lion but never had a tank large enough to house one without taxing the bioload too much. I think with being BB and wet skimming and being careful not to over feed I should be able to keep my water params high.

Careful about the paly's too. I hear that they are addicting. You are better off with mushrooms :) Especially the fuzzy ones. Just remember, crack is cheaper than reefing. But fixing the crack in your reef can be expensive. :)

BTW- I think that the dwarf lion is cute. I don't know about how "reef safe" it is. But if it makes you happy, then go for it! I hope it does not invite the clowns over for dinner (as the main course).

dsoz