Another teacher on board....

DoughPat

Hi Everyone--

Just signed the dotted line for a high school Chemistry/Biology teaching job at a new technology magnet school up in Mcminnville (Lee--AKA Aqua Ed is going to be my neighbor!!) The school is going into its third year, and this will be the first year its offered chemistry, so this should be a busy summer getting things ready.

I'm going to start pounding the pavement looking for donated materials for a tank. I think that I will let the students start it up (versus me getting it going over the summer), so that we can graph ammonia, nitrate, etc.

Since this school has a high proportion of very tech-saavy kids, I'd like to work on getting the tank as automated as possible. I had a Neptune aqua-controller many years ago--but I remember these being pretty pricey--i'm sure they still are. Maybe the cheaper/more-techy way to do this would be with an old PC and some kind of X10 interface.....we'll see.

I've got some lesson plans put together from my days down at the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology....if someone wants them, PM me. Alternatively, I could put them up as attachments on a thread somewhere?

Anyway, psyched to be employed and anxious to get my kids with their noses to the (plexi)glass...

We are working slowly, but surely on our Tanks For Teachers program. It's great to see teachers such as yourself, dsoz, Mr S, and tidalsculpin active with marine aquarium keeping in our schools, and posting in our forum. Hopefully your post will help hook you up with some other educators and donations. Feel free to post in the

Discovery and Educational section under PNWMAS Discussions. http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6 We are encouraging teachers to attend our June PNWMAS Meeting with Guest Speaker, Bob Fenner. Be sure to let your associates know that PNWMAS has extended it's Member Discount to educators. If they would mention being a teacher, or HMSC or OCAQ staff member if using advanced payment by Paypal http://www.pnwmas.org/ that would be helpful. The small admission price, which includes dinner, for the presentation may also be paid at the door at the time of the event.

Welcome aboard. It is truly worth every moment.

Look into diy methods for Rock. Mr. S has some plans for that pricey item.

I have flooded my room more than once. It is a good idea to know where your custodian keeps the water vacuum!

Feel free to pm me for tips and ideas.

You should strongly consider a smallish tank for portability to take home during summer. Summer maintenance is peaceful in a silent school but not as fun to worry about during your summer break.

I have over 250 gallons of water in my room evap rates can be problematic at times in summer months.

I am going to have my students make rock this week so it can cure over the summer. That way the next TFT tank has something to start with, not just a bare tank. I went to home depot and bought some portland cement (it is grey, not white. but it is what they had). I got some crushed coral from John (through Dave), and I bought two bags of water softener salt to make it porous. I figure if I get a few groups of students making rock, they will make enough for several TFT tanks.

dsoz

Welcome DoughPat, It is great to see another teacher that is interested and willing to get involved in the very new program "Tanks for Teachers".

It seem as though we are off to a slow start, but that will change by the end of summer.

Please keep us posted, and we will help in any way possible.

Thanks

Kevin

Thanks for the welcome, everyone :)

(and the hints...I'm definitely going to keep it small this year. I was thinking about doing 2-3 tanks of about 10-30 gallons each, each one a different biotope)

Look forward to the meeting in June! Bob Fenner--nice :)

Thanks again.

Ryan Lenz