Need Advice On skimmer overflow

wegotjs

Got some of the chemiclean red slime remover from Pat(worked great) and followed the directions and did a %35 water change after 48 hours. My skimmer is still going crazy, any body think adding carbon or any other trick to remove more of the medicen in the water. I guess I will have to do another water change if there are not any better suggestion's.(sad)

skim with care...

The medication/chemical you used has changed the surface tension of the water which in turn alters the shape and density of the bubbles in the skimmer. Not only will your skimmer pull out excessive amounts of water(wet foam) but it may also pull out solids with high saturation levels like Mg, Ca, and pH/alk buffers. Watch closely for this. With the risk of upsetting the "chemical balance", and the inexpensive, positive effects of waterchanges, I have to say that small serial waterchanges seem like a good solution to me. Ryan

Have you ever wondered why you read so many posts of people who love Chemi clean? They use it once a month and it works great.

Chemi clean only kills the weakest cells of the bacteria, leaving the strongest to reproduce. If you have not cured the cause you will only being getting yourself a stronger cyano outbreak in the future by using such product.

The product calls for a large water change after the use, I would do that. I would also follow the treatment by a couple of dark days for your tank. The bacteria is photosynthetic so a few dark days afterwards will kill the stronger cells. If the cause is still present it will resurface soon enough.

The skimmer is going crazy due to what is in your system. Let it do it's job, that's why you bought.

JMO not that I know anything.

If you have not cured the cause you will only being getting yourself a stronger cyano outbreak in the future by using such product.

+1

Anti-cyano medicines are one of the worst bandaids in the hobby. They do nothing to address the root cause of the problem and have all sorts of nasty side effects.

I'm on the fence after what i went through. Previously in my 29gal i had some minor cyano on the sand in spots which still had a lot of flow and i just couldn't kick the cyano. 1 dose of chemiclean and over a year later i never saw it.

I tried using it in my 75 when i had a bad outbreak. While it killed off most of the cyano, some still remained and it came back.

IMO for small outbreaks this does as advertised with great results. If the cyano problem is bad, there are root problems you should address and the product won't do much good.

Well I did leave the lights off for 4 day's and as it did die it slowly came back, starting in just 24 hours.I have had my tank up for almost a year and just in the last 2 months did it sprout up.

minimal Feeding ,large water changes , high water quaility, All were good.I would love to have someone find "the real problem" Because I couldn't.

I never did find the cause in my tank either. I was just diligent with my WCs, changed all filters, and syphoned it out for months and months. I did add some more LR to my tank, and maybe that helped add area for bacteria to finally outcompete it. I donno. Something finally tipped the scale and its been gone since.

Good luck!

I usually leave my skimmer off for 48 hours after the chem-clean. Then I make sure to lower the tubes so that it "dry skims". It takes 3 to 4 days after to make the adjustment back up to normal.

On another note...I agree totally with the others on the band-aid. I have the "junk"....got to love this crap. I tried the chem-clean twice and still no complete results. I have followed on Impurs advice and have done alot of water changes and cut my 10,000 k T-5's down to the BARE minimum for about a month (or more) now (all of the LPS are doing fine!). I leave the 460 actinics on as normal, and I have noticed a HUGE drop in the cyano. I no longer get huge carpet masses of the stuff growing on my sand bed. Just little patches here and there.

I also picked up a little green tipped anenome and it loves to rearrange the stuff on my sand bed. This stirs stuff up and my sand is looking much better! I also picked up a cheap little filter system (penquin 10) and run it on my sump with filter floss, carbon and phosphoban...(I thank Impur for this too!). This made a big difference as well.

Be patient, fix the problem (DI/RO filters), bi-overload, lighting etc.. etc..etc.. and good luck.

Kris