Now Gainfully Employed

aqua-ed

Well, I'm set to finally graduate from my Science Masters program here in three weeks and I signed on for my first job! I'll be teaching chemistry and physics at a High School west of Salem.

I'm pretty psyched and already planning ways to fit marine chemistry into my curriculum, thus making an excuse to have a tank in my classroom!

If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it! I'm really looking forward to the years coming!

Who knows? Maybe I'll have some of your kids... (scary)

Yep, Margery is retiring and I'm taking over. It's a plum of a job in a great area. Looks like we will be 5A rivals now, Dennis. None-the-less, I won't hesitate to ask you questions, an offer you may regret! Hehehe...

Yea, I'm hoping to help out with the Tanks-for-Teachers for sure. I'd love to help lay down some killer lesson plans and activities for teachers to go along with the tanks.

Yep, Margery is retiring and I'm taking over. It's a plum of a job in a great area. Looks like we will be 5A rivals now, Dennis. None-the-less, I won't hesitate to ask you questions, an offer you may regret! Hehehe...

Yea, I'm hoping to help out with the Tanks-for-Teachers for sure. I'd love to help lay down some killer lesson plans and activities for teachers to go along with the tanks.

If you are in touch with Margery, let her know that I wish her the best in retirement. I know her from Partners in Science (a program that you should look into once you get your summers so you don't have to take classes).

Rivals are only for sports. My job is to educate kids. I don't care if they are in my school or not. If I can help some students, somewhere, I will take the opportunity to do so. I have had 4 student teachers, and have mentored 8 new teachers in the school. I think I know a little about how to help a new teacher get started. If you want to get together this summer and brainstorm for your classes, I'd be willing to meet for coffee somewhere and talk shop. I can bring an e-copy of all my stuff, just have a jump-drive (or laptop) to put it on. I have stuff for biology, chemistry, physical science, and physics.

Right now my TFT is going well. I have not used it IN class, but I am doing some good things with students in-between classes. I have started attracting a group of kids that come in my room whenever there is no class just to see what is new. I had one girl tell me that she asked her parents for a SW tank, and they are giving her one for graduation. I have spent some time with her talking about how to get it set up, and what to do to get into the hobby.

So far everything that I have added has been from my home tank. I hope to change that this summer as people start to give to the project, and I get some donations. Then I can put some of my stuff back in my tank and truely call it a "club tank."

I have a large pile of rock, a couple heads of frogspawn, a pair of clowns (not hosting the FS :( ). I had some xenia, but the power went out in my room over the long weekend, so the xenia is dying off. I also have some white star polyps. I got a green clown goby, but it went into the rock-work, and I have not seen it since. Last night I got a pair of snails, and 3 more hermits (to join the one that is in there already).

I would say for setting it up at the end of the year, it has a good start. :)

dsoz