Okay i'll break down and ask for help

(flame) So as most of you know I got a 16g nano from a friend of mine. Well with it i inhereted hair algae problem with it. Thinking "well i've been reefing for a while i can lick it" I took it on. Well its been a month now and no slowing the algae. So here it is... PLEASE HELP ME. any ideas that I haven't tried. Here's what I've done so far.

Increased flow by adding a powerhead. The tank turns over now about 20x per hour with the filter, skimmer and powerhead combined.

Cut the halide light back to like 2 hrs a day, and only have been running actinic flourescent lamps (2 x 12" VHO)

Running Kents phosphate remover, replacing every 2 days.

Running activated carbon replacing every 2 days.

added a lawnmower blenny, 45 blue leg hermit crabs, and 2 turbo snails. already had 4 astrea snails.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO!!! I'm getting frustrated, and those who know me know its hard to get me frustrated. HELP!!! (flame)

Thank SBK.

ok well are you using some sort of purified water is the halide bulb old (over a year)once bulb gets old gos to the red spectrum fosters algae growth also when u moved the tank what little balance it had was lost so this would add to the ongoing algae prob if this was already a prob so stick with it if your using good purified water for water changes it will go away but dont expect it to happen real soon.

Is the hair algae short and matted to the rock or long and soft. I have the short matted. I took a piece of rock to seahorse today and was told its turf algae and the only way to get rid of it was to dry the rock. Woody said nothing will eat it. I bought rock from a local pet store when I started my tank that was covered in it I tried everything to get rid of it and nothing worked.

Its the long crappy, my buddy didn't do water changes, didn't give a crap about the tank cuz it only had rock and 2 clowns in it type. Im gonna try the toothbrush method in the morning... on another note, which of the LFS would be open on Monday? I'm comming to Vancouver to get fireworks, and hopefully stopping by the reef shop.

do weekly small water changes and siphon out as much algae and detritus as u can each time say 5gal a week

as reefboy said this is how I got rid of mine, stepped up my water changes, and siphoned what I could, ran phosban, since it lasts about 2 months not 2 days, and run the skimmer really wet (this is key).

It will take time, the rock has tried to absorb all that crap now you will kick the cycle in reverse, you will have to remove water to help do almost a tank "Cook" slowly removing wastes from the rock. If you can blow down the rocks with a powerhead first then siphon. It will take time and patience.

Yes your ph is very high, the wter changes will be good, Like I said run that skimmer really wet to help, and if you can run some phosban in a phos reactor till you feel comfortable. If the tank is as small as you say all you would need for phos is about 2 teaspoons, it sounds like not enough but I use about 1/4 cup in my 155 gallon.

• Like 1

well if you toothbrush them, make 100% sure you do it in a tub out of your tank, and dump the water you use. When you clean the algae you release algae spores that will gladly take over new places in your tank.

Miles you have a tds meter? If so we need to meet at Seans sometime and I would like to to check my water out. :)

I sure do! Just let me know the day and time.

Your P04 is definately high. I'd get your RO water checked and do frequent WCs till you see results.

if you get tired of it i would just remove all the LR and do the cooking process in the garage for a few months to clean it up. when the rock is ready to go back in you should replace the sandbed and do a large WC. that will eliminate the phosphate sink and give you a clean slate to work off of. If i was dealing with what you are... that is what i would do now. the tank will be fine without the rock for a bit.