CONTRAVERSY: Base Rock VS Dead Rock VS Live Rock

downhill_biker

Here is a forum topic that I started on Reef Central to discuss and debate the differences in these rocks. My experience that sparked this is that I had a bunch of rock that was once live and sat in a friend's garage. I was told by several people on Reef Central that it was just regular base rock, put it in. I am glad I didn't listen. The rock cycled hard, and would have crashed my tank.

I am posting this forum in order to update old terminology and differentiate base rock from dead rock. The rock that was once live = Dead Rock, when re-hydrated will start to decompose the dried out "live stuff" and cause a cycle. I just dont want people to be confused and cause major problems with their tanks.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1379716

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

To me, Base rock is usually more rounded, less branchy, less porous. Usually people put this rock ate the "base" of the rock structure.

Either way, any rock that has been dried out will cause a cycle. Unless you get it real clean before adding it to an established system.

Even cleaning it off does not clean it out. We have bacteria that grow INSIDE the rock. When the rock dries out, some of the bacteria goes into hybernation, but some also DIE. Guess what??? That means a cycle.

I agree that base rock is not the same as rock that was once alive, but is now dried out. A new definition needs to be made for the once-living-but-now-dead rock.

dsoz

Even cleaning it off does not clean it out. We have bacteria that grow INSIDE the rock. When the rock dries out, some of the bacteria goes into hybernation, but some also DIE. Guess what??? That means a cycle.

I agree that base rock is not the same as rock that was once alive, but is now dried out. A new definition needs to be made for the once-living-but-now-dead rock.

dsoz

that is exactly what i think. i am trying to change this, and hopefully people can realize that there is a difference. i just was frustrated because someone on reef central told me that my rock wouldnt cycle, and i chose to cycle it anyway, and guess what major cycle, it would have crashed my tank.

the problem is that this person said he would still give the same advise knowing what my experience was. i am just trying to clear up fuzzy areas in people's heads in order to keep this from happening to someone else.