Controllable Koralias are here!!

R-3

So the controllable Koralia's are here !!!!! There is a downside though. The controller is over $300. Might as well buy a set of Tunzes. This is really disappointing. The price of the pumps are very reasonable though.

I dont know very much about controllers so what I wanna know is will any old controller work??

I dont know if this link works. But just go to Marine Depot and there on the main page.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searchItem~IdCategory~~SearchText~koralia~parsed~1.html

I just looked these up on petsolutions.com and Smith and Foster. It look like you have to buy new Koralia's that have a different plug in. I wonder if they can compete with Tunzes. If anyone buys them let us know haw they are. I'm think of buying but don't want to be the first one, I'll wait to see the reviews on them.

Ter

Yeah you definitely have to buy new ones that are 12V. If they can work with other controllers they will sell like HOTCAKES guaranteed!!! Of course baring any major catastrophe with these pumps. Later Ryan

Well I read up about them and it looks like they use a special plug that only plugs into the Hydor controller. That kinda sucks. So it looks like about $450 for the controller and two K4's. Hmm.....i wonder if you cut the plug off. Later Ryan

I just don't get what Koralia can possibly be thinking. A $300 controller for a $50 pump? Crazy. If they had instead opted for something along the lines of the Tunze Singlecontroller, maybe with a second inverted output, they could have brought it to market for $50. That would have given two controllable, alternating flow powerheads for ~$150. They would have absolutely *slayed* with it... Then, once they achieved some market penetration, they could have released the more sophisticated controller and sold a bunch of those too.

Yep...they are trying toappeal to those that have to uch money and that aint me. I bet the ;rice will drop when everyone realises how out of line it is. I meen I can almost go buy a pentium 4 computer for that price. Not a super computer but a wordprocessing internet surfing email pc. I will stick with my seios. You know I had 2 wavemakers Redseapro I think...for about 4 years and I dont have a wavemaker now. I honestly dont see that much of a difference in coral growth without a controller. The way the sps coralights grow may be affected by my steady flow as opposed to changing flow but they are healthy and grow at a good pace.

Jay

Nice pics Ryan(whistle)

Not sure how everyone feels about power heads but I hate the things. I know they are good for flow and you can put them everywhere but why not just do a closed loop? I am using some nanostreams now and can not stand them so am trying to figure out how to do a closed loop on my new cube. I know it might cost a little more but I think not seeing any power heads is worth the price. Or at least to me in a smaller size tank. I guess if you havea 100 gallon plus system you can hide them or make them blend in a little easier. I just dont like to see things that do not belong(nutty) Just my 2 cents on the subject and yes that price for the controller is out of hand.

I'm just the opposite. I'd rather have the ease of use, flexibility and energy efficiency of a few stream-style powerheads. A decent closed loop system will cost an arm and a leg, too. Besides, it's not like closed loops are invisible -- many I've seen look like industrial vacuum cleaners with all the locline they use ;)

Different strokes for different folks.

I agree with the "locline" visibility. And it's really hard to get a closed loop just right, so you get the flow you need/want everywhere. Then there is the cleaning of the intake, which gets easily clogged up. Depending on your rockwork, it's a real pain to reach it.

I had a 40G tank with closed loop a couple of years ago, and needed pumps to get the flow right in addition.

I'm sure that a closed loop can work great, but I prefer the ease of adding a pump.

To me, they blend in faily well in the background, or can be hidden behind strategically placed rocks.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be buying a Koralia controller and pumps in a hurry!

I like the regular Koralias I have, but if it comes down to spending several hundred dollars, I think I'd go for Tunze for the time being.

They've been around a bit longer and are known for great customer support and longevity.

If I remember both of you have bigger tanks. My poor little cube is only 20 inchs wide and real estate is a premium:D

I know what you are saying about the money and lock line issue but I am still going to try and make it work. I really want a clean looking system with almost nothing to look at except what goes in the ocean(laugh) But if I have to break down and do a power head the smaller nano korilas look tempting. Was looking at one today at Coral Reef and almost bought it just for testing.

I totally agree with spectra. I wanna see a tank full of beautiful inhabitants, not a bunch of powerheads. Power heads are just another eyesore, granted they are needed when flow is not sufficient, I would just rather increase flow another way if at all possible. jmo. Closed loop isn't the only answer. I have a friend who just set up a 120 and used a wave2k(http://www.wave2k.com/product.htm) It was placed in the middle of two overflowboxes so it didn't protrude out at all. Plus the natural wave action and breaking of surface tension is amazing. I will definitely be using a wave2k in my next tank. Lets not forget about seaswirls too. Also I wasn't able to view pics