Waves, above and beyond beyond.

pledosophy

Beyond beyond is the short story.

Long Story.

I went into Waves with money to burn and picked out a skimmer. Then I talked with Joel, who remembered my tank an basically told me that it was about 5x to much for my tank. He recommended a skimmer that was about a half the cost of what I picked out. He took the time to talk to me more and figure out what would work best with my system and what I was trying to accomplish. We picked out a skimmer that wasn't one he even carried, but he ordered it for me. Saved me a couple hundred bucks by not letting me just get the one I had picked out.

That enough is of note IMO.

Then I get the skimmer. Take it home, thing leaks. Now I had waited some time for it since the company had it on back order so I was kinda bummed. I PM'd Joel, he said to bring it in and if he couldn't fix it, he'd replace it with a new one.

After he fixed the leak I found, he found another, and fixed it. Then another with the pump, so he took a pump off his shelf and fixed it. At this point he offered to get me a brand new skimmer, I declined since I thought this one was fixed. Then he found another problem with the air intake, so he fixed that.

I took it home ran it for an hour, another leak sprouted in a different place. So I called him, he again offered me a new skimmer but I thought I could fix this problem on my own. He tried to walk me through it, but my plan was not as good as his so he asked me if I wanted a new skimmer or if I wanted to come back in. I went back in.

After close to two hours of Joel tinkering between the two visits to find and fix the 6 different problems with the skimmer, tonight my skimmer is working.

I'm just amazed. I'm not a big customer, I don't spend a lot of money, Waves didn't even make much off the sale. I kinda felt bad even going back after everything that was done for me, but was never made to feel that way in the slightest, just the opposite in fact.

I wish I had less words to be able to sum this up shorter, but I think the story speaks for itself. Waves could have easily just sold me a piece of equipment I didn't need and taken in a couple hundred bucks more. When the skimmer was defective I could have been referrered back to deal with the manufacture. Instead they helped me save money, get something that was better for me, and then when it went bad spent a couple hours with me to make it work.

Thanks Waves.

Sidenote:

On top of all of that, I picked up the most insane SPS frag while I was there today. It might be the coolest SPS coral I have ever seen.

I believe it is the Pacific Imports RPS 1000. Didn't ask Joel for the model number, but it is from Pacific Imports and matches the description on there site.

Once the thing was fixed it works beautifully. Little loud for my taste, but before the skimmer my tank was dead silent with the most noise coming from the Quiet One 4000. I like quiet. Might replace the pump with something else to see if I can reduce the noise.

The skimmer has pulled out my skimmate in the last 5 days then my remora Pro did last month. I need to do a side by side thing with it since the Remora would be so easy to hook back up.

• 5 weeks later...