Oregon Coast Aquarium and Hatfield Marine Science Center Behind the Scenes Tours

Chief

Information on the behind the scenes tours of the OCA and HMSC can be found on the homepage here.

http://www.pnwmas.org

Member Children under the age of 12 are free, but we need to know how many children you will be bringing between the ages of 3 and 12 as the club will be paying for their admission.

Members (13 and up) $12.00 each (Family Membership = 3 Adults)

Non-Member (13 and up) $14.00 each

Non-Member Children (2 - 12) $5.00 each

This tours have always been one of the highlights of our year. Want to know just how a world class aquarium works? Join us on Saturday April 26th to find out.

Jay

That sounds like a lot of fun. We were just there but that is worth going back for.

Zoolander - I'm sure you will be glad that you went with PNWMAS... lots more to see on the workings of a public aquarium, also a tour of the Hatfield Marine Science Center, (and possibly a BBQ afterwards if enough people are interested!). The weather at the coast is getting nice, and 180Bob is a great chef when it comes to fixing up clams & oysters...burgers, sausages and hotdogs. (hungry) Anyone else interested in BBQ? We had a great time last year!

I went there for the first time yesterday. It was pretty nice for a small aquarium...stayed for half an hour. I didn't see any coral reefs at all....was there suppose to be?

I didn't get a chance to go to the Undersea Adventure thing. How is that?

I went there for the first time yesterday. It was pretty nice for a small aquarium...stayed for half an hour. I didn't see any coral reefs at all....was there suppose to be?

I didn't get a chance to go to the Undersea Adventure thing. How is that?

If you mean the "Passages of the Deep" exhibit, lots of people seem to me impressed with it!

http://www.aquarium.org/exhibitsPassages.asp?sid=2 I thought that walking through an acrylic tunnel in a huge tank with sharks and rays swimming above and below you was pretty cool.:)

There are some solitary corals and colonial anemones that rival many tropical varieties. The Jelly tanks are favorites for many. http://www.aquarium.org/jellies/aquarium.htm We have Giant Pacific Octopus and Wolf Eels that are only found in the Pacific Northwest!.The Oregon Coast Aquarium is known World-wide, and is among the Top 10 Public Aquariums in the Nation! An exhibit featuring Tropical Marines is in the works right now! The OCAQ is familiar with PNWMAS and values our feedback. We hope to have a ongoing relationship with them.

This will be a great opportunity to discuss their exhibits and future exhibits with the Aquarists that will be giving the tours! Perhaps we can convince them that a (permanent)Tropical Seas Exhibit would increase the attendance! :D I know that many of us in PNWMAS would be more than happy to be available to them as consultants!

Student Aquarists at Hatfield Marine Science Center are also looking forward to meeting us! I am looking forward to a new exhibit that is in the works.

No, these places aren't going to be like Sea World, but we always have a great time! Personally, I have visited many times since Aquarium's Grand Opening in May of 1992 (being an OCAQ Member at the time, I was even able to visit before the Grand opening), and there has been something new to see and learn every time! You won't be disappointed! Bring your questions, suggestions, cameras, and be ready to have fun!

Oh I went into that underwater tunnel. It's a very cool experience, don't get me wrong. It was my favorite part of OCA, that and the seals. I guess I just expected more. I tried to take some pictures but not sure how they turned out, I haven't taken them off the camera yet.

The undersea adventure thing was a separate attraction at Newport, sorry forgot to mention that...it's the one located at the Historic Bay front area, by Ripleys I believe.

Ok. The Undersea Gardens on SW Bay Boulevard. I took my family to see it years ago.

Murky Bay water...local fish swimming...even had a sunken toilet in the tank for realism(scratch)(laugh)

IMO, hardly worth the time or money. You are much better off stopping by Mo's down the street for some delicious clam chowder or a seafood dinner.

I am looking forward to a trip to the coast! Plus a backscene tour to boot...yeah baby! Oh by the way...did some one say B-B-Q???? I am in!

Kris

BBQ!(yahoo)(hungry)

After the last tour at OCAQ, we will meet for a BBQ starting around 3:30pm across the bridge at Yaquina Bay State Park and Lighthouse (13 on map) http://www.newportchamber.org/visit/?dir_cat=19125

There will be clams & oysters...burgers, sausages and hotdogs. All are welcome. Bring something along to share if you like!

Just in case you are still looking for more activities after Hatfield and OC Aquarium Tours, our BBQ across the bridge at Yaquina State Park, you can always head back across the bridge for the South Beach Open Mic at the South Beach Community Center at 3024 SE Ferry Slip Road across from the Aquarium Village. :D

http://www.klcc.org/Calendar.asp?View=EVENT&EventID=5793&Date=04/26/2008&SectionID=-1

Sponsored by Clean Slate

http://www.bluesic.com/Jam_page.htm

(We just don't want anyone saying that there was not enough to do... (whistle))

When is the latest we can purchase tickets? Am really wanting to go but it all depends on the weather as baseball season is here.

Hatfield Center. 10:00 AM PNWMAS covers cost.

If you show up late or did not buy a ticket you can still get in OC Aquarium at Full Admission Price of $14.25.

We meet at 12:30PM/Tour starts at 1:00.

BBQ at Yaquina State Park 3:30PM Oysters & Clams, Burgers, Hotdogs, Sausages, buns, condiments provided. You are welcome to bring other dishes, salads, drinks.