Sump issue causing flood hazard

Zoolander

I just got this all setup and running only to find out that one of 2 things happens:

The sump starts to fill up

The tank starts to fill up

I killed the siphon for now but what can I do to correct this? My thought was to buy another overflow box from a member on this board to increase water flow. What details do you need to help me with this?

Edit: It seems to be good now but I am still skeptical. I think getting a second box might be a good idea. Also, is there anything I can do to quiet the box down? The water draining is loud! I am wondering if maybe the piping is too big?

Maybe your overflow cannot handle the flow from the pump???

The tank should only fill up enough to go over the box on the inside of the tank overflow. Then there should be an equilibrium. In theory, only as much water that enters the tank should be drawn out of the tank. If the pump out-performs your drain then I can see a problem. I would have to see it to troubleshoot.

IDK

dsoz

Well I think I got it and the issue is an interesting one. I used an old siphon tube to start the box and left it in there after it started to go look at the sump. Once I pulled the tube out everything seemed to even out and run fine. Even the box draining is a lot quieter!

I dunno, either. I will watch it for a while and post back up if I still have an issue. I have been doing fresh tank for about 15 years and this is my first large scale salt tank. I guess there is still time to be a noob for everybody, lol.

Thanks, I appreciate it. The sump is done for the night, though. I just had to screw with it once more to make it that much more perfect and ended up creating a break in the silicone at the bottom of the box. That quickly grew and epic failure ensued. I'm wet and the whole [language filter] thing is being re-siliconed now. I just had to mess with it....

How long do you let that stuff cure before you run water through it? Do you rinse it? The reason I ask is that I have used that on water pipes before, and it always seemed like I could taste it in the water for some time. If it is there enough to taste, I would imagine it would have to have some (negative) impact on your fish and corals. Any such experience?

Yup, run primer first, let sit 30-60 seconds them PVC glue. I let it sit overnight if I can, if not an hour will do. The primer softens the pipe just a tad and makes for a much tighter seal, never had a leak that way.

It's to seal up the piping. The only portion of acrylic with silicone on it is where the piping meets the box.

Did you use silicone on the bulkhead? If you did, you might wanna redo that.

Some people here don't even use any type of glue for the drain. They just friction fit it in there and call it a day.

Can you take some pictures of your setup? That would give us an idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

How long do you let that stuff cure before you run water through it? Do you rinse it? The reason I ask is that I have used that on water pipes before' date=' and it always seemed like I could taste it in the water for some time. If it is there enough to taste, I would imagine it would have to have some (negative) impact on your fish and corals. Any such experience?[/quote']

Well its drinking water safe, and made to be used specifically for these types of pipes. I would guess you somehow made a puddle of glue in the piping and it took longer to dry. The directions say to wait 24 hours usually. They even make a glue that is meant to be applied in wet conditions, like if you have a leak and can't shut it off but still need to glue something.

I really like flex tube for external overflows. I have twin overflows directed at my skimmer inlet. When I blow off my rock, or change water I move the hoses to another chamber and put a filter sock over the hoses for about an hour. I then move it back to the previous position in front of the skimmer. Works for me.