Shipping Cost Questions USPS VS UPS

R-3

So i was just trying to figure out what is the best deal around for shipping since I have been shipping a lot of stuff lately. I have some bulbs i gotta ship and the box is like 1 lb. I got a quote from UPS and it was $8.92 for ground. I got one USPS and it was $4.60 for priority (2-3 day). What gives? Just wondering whom everyone uses. Both packages are based on insured prices. Later Ryan

IME usps is best and cheapiest for dry goods and, Fed ex for anything living, and DHL and UPS for anything that you care nothing about. Have had nothing but bad experiences with shipping and recieving with these guys. I guess I base who I ship with on quality and customer service rather than price. Anytime anything has gone wrong with dhl or ups they have denied all fault and refused to be of any help whatsoever and I have had more than one bad experince with these guys and unfortunately it was completely their fault(lost package, smashed box, punctured box w/no water etc. etc.) I have probablt shipped/recieved over 20-30 packages of dry goods with usps and not once was there ever a problem. Shipped/recieved 15-20 livestock orders through Fed-ex with only one problem which was an unforseen snowstorm in chicago which held the package up for 2 days, but fed -ex made it right buy refunding 100% of the shipping charges no questions asked even though the weather was out of thier hands. All packages through ups and dhl have been screwed up in one way or another with not even the slightest attempt to make things right. JME. Have a hard time shipping throuhg someone who doesn't fulfill on their end of the insurance(flame)

HTH

Fedex won't insure their ground deliveries for more than $100 I believe. I tried to ship a skimmer with them insured for $700, it had fragile written on it and they wouldn't insure it. I guess they don't trust their workers. Also they have to open the box and examine it, who knows if they will repackage it as good as you.

Not all the workers know this however so often you can get away with shipping/insuring expensive stuff with them. This doesn't mean you are free and clear. Just that they may pull the same crap as UPS if damage were to occur and show you the fine print later.

This is for personal shipping not businesses.

Guest Snorkelwasp
IME usps is best and cheapiest for dry goods and' date=' Fed ex for anything living, and DHL and UPS for anything that you care nothing about.[/quote']

i agree with greenthumb

Fedex won't insure their ground deliveries for more than $100 I believe. I tried to ship a skimmer with them insured for $700, it had fragile written on it and they wouldn't insure it. I guess they don't trust their workers. Also they have to open the box and examine it, who knows if they will repackage it as good as you.

Not all the workers know this however so often you can get away with shipping/insuring expensive stuff with them. This doesn't mean you are free and clear. Just that they may pull the same crap as UPS if damage were to occur and show you the fine print later.

This is for personal shipping not businesses.

Wow 100 dollars maximum. Thats no bueno. I have never shipped anything other than living stuff overnighted through fed-ex so I had no clue of this. Just another reason to use usps for ground shippments I guess. Do they only open ground shipments??? Never experienced them openig anything that I have shipped/recieved overnighted. Seems like a time consuming thing to do for every package.

ugg this sounds like a nightmare... I've never shipped n e thing living but lots of other stuff...IME usps gets it there just as fast for less if its within the state...never had a problem with usps but I dont care for ups they make stupid mistakes and not to mention I've almost been hit by there drivers too many times to count...its like their attracted to my car(scratch)