I cant get my Clam to open up!!

gwalkerss

I have a well established tank (almost two years) and I am trying to add a clam, it is my first one. Every time I bring one home I drip aclimate it for around an hour 15 or so. I think that all of my water peramiters are good. What is happening, after the clam is put into the tank, he barly opens at all, just a little purple comes out the top. At the shop the clam as fully open and looking great. Water temp is between 78-80, Salt and PH are great. Alk/calcium/iodine are good. I have not taken him out of the water, i heard that is really bad. What can i be doing wrong. I dont want to Kill a nother clam!! Please help!!!! If you have any ideas please let me know

Geoff

Can you specify the type of clam? where its at in your tank and whats your magnesium for future purposes (as clams need magnesium)

When you purchased it where and what type of light was it under, did the LFS have it long?

re

My magnesium is good, I test and dose it weekly, not sure of the exact mag number. The shop had it for a a week or so, I bought it, took it home and it would not open. I had it for 4 days or so. I took it back in the hopes that they could revive it, they had it for just a few hours and it was doing great, i left it there for a week, then i brought it home the other day, and it would not open again. I am sure there is something that i am missing!!

It is a crocea clam

No fish nipping going on... should not be this hard. Anyhow also for fu might want to check nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and CONFIRM your salt mix is around 1.025 it may be much less if your not using a calibrated refractometer.

Where in your tank are you putting it? That could change things. My crocea barely opened when it was in the middle of the tank, I moved it out of the alcove I put it in and moved it to the upper 1/3 of the tank and it opened up nice and wide.

Well, If it opens up at the store(SWF) then there has to be something not right with your tank.

It has nothing to do with your halides, nor placement(unless it's getting blasted with flow).

Take your water into Patrick, Have him test it with a refractometer. Get your salinity up to 35ppt. Have him test Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate.

Do you use SWF premixed SW, and or FW? If not, it may be a good time to start.

I have a well established tank (almost two years) and I am trying to add a clam' date=' it is my first one.[/quote']

This is the only clam that you have ever put in your tank?

Every time I bring one home I drip aclimate it for around an hour 15 or so.

This tells me that it isn't

Salt and PH are great. Alk/calcium/iodine are good.

What is good? Are you testing for Iodine?

I have not taken him out of the water, i heard that is really bad

Does not make a difference. I have had MANY clams out of water for extended periods of time without issues. Just make sure to roll them around abit under water to "burp" them.

I dont want to Kill a nother clam!!

You sure that this is your first clam?

My magnesium is good, I test and dose it weekly, not sure of the exact mag number

You have a test for Mg, but have SWF test everything else?

I added salt before i put the clam in.

How? And what brand of salt? Did it get you in the 1.025 range?

There's alot of great suggestions here...

The only other thing I might suggest is ...give us a list of fish you have in the tank. It sounds like all your perameter's are within tolerence, so that leads me to believe that someone could by nipping on your clam. Usally Angle fish, and Butterfly fish are preditors to Corcea clam's. Here's a link I found that might help you a little.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=579&N=0

Good luck