Bare Bottom 40 Breeder (Pic Intense)

uhuru

Oh, and the corals:

Jason @ Coral Reef Pet Center always hooks me up with nice sized, healthy SPS corals

DSCN2716.jpg

DSCN2728.jpg

Upscales...what more needs to be said

DSCN2715.jpg

DSCN2710.jpg

DSCN2711.jpg

DSCN2713.jpg

Lets not forget Waves

DSCN2726.jpg

Remember Reefgeek?

DSCN2712.jpg

Photosynthetic Gorgonian from Phishy Business

DSCN2718.jpg

I like the idea of the pipe overflow. Do you have issues with the long way slit getting things trapped? I know that I have issues with things (snails, fish, etc.) swimming/crawling over my overflow box and getting trapped. Did you consider making the slits perpendicular (cross wise) to the pipe rather than parallel (long wise)? If you did consider it, what was your reasoning for having it go the long way? I am not trying to question/criticize what you did, I am just voicing a question that went through my mind when I saw what you did, and my mind finally made sense of how it works. :)

dsoz

The overflow is the best DIY ever, I love the way it works. I got the idea from a post by "fly guy" on RC, I don't know if it's the same fly guy on here... but it is so easy to do yet more effective than anything else. The layer of water that it skims is EXTREMELY thin because you have the length of the tank + the water is coming in from both front and back. I don't have any problems with anything crawling into it, the slit is very thin, so I would say it is more effective than teeth because snails can't crawl over and into it. Nothing is going to block the entire length of the tank either so no problems there either. Perpendicular slits would defeat the purpose IMO. I can't say that this concept would work with larger tanks though because of the amount of flow required. I only have about 200 gph going through the entire horizontal area, so even if something blocked half of the opening, it still wouldn't overflow. If you really want to be redundant, you can drill an additional emergency drain and have it higher than the horizontal pipe.

Not only is this more effective than more labor intensive (and expensive) overflows, it is almost completely invisible:

DSCN2464.jpg

DSCN2706.jpg

Wow Mike!

Looks great. Now on with the system pics :)

Thanks man. Not much for system pics, it's very simple:

DSCN2457.jpg

Skimmer (now running ATB), zeolite reactor and that's it! I use an LMIII for dosing two-part, .05L of CA and Alk per day. CA stays at 425 and Alk stays at around 7.5. ATO is a Tunze osmolator. All of this equipment serves both this tank and the cube as they share a common sump (29g filled about 20g).

Someday I'm gonna ask Scott (Spectra) to build me a nice stand to accomodate both tanks.

I really like the overflow and it does look slick. Nice to see things differant and also that they work.

As for the stand have not forgot about you am just real busy and have not had much time to do some R and D work(laugh) I need to figure it out so I can get the ball rolling on my other tank. To many irons in the fireDOH!

I think it's the same 'Flyguy" ( he lives here in Central Oregon )

I LOVE your pipe idea...incredible. In fact I'm so inspired by your entire tank it's "bye-bye 29, hello 40" time around here.

Thanks for sharing such a great idea and tank.

I have to re read to see what substrate you are using (well not using lol) Is it starboard it looks white?

It is just the glass with the bottom painted white. Of course the bottom isn't so white anymore, I've read that sea urchins are pretty good at keeping BB tanks nice and white on the bottom but haven't tried it yet. I've tried starboard in the past but didn't like it because eventually it would get detritus trapped underneath.

I sent you a PM concerning my tank if you are interested. I may be moving to Ohio but I won't know until April 15th. If I move I will have to sell it all :( Except the skimmer I'm taking that with me :)

I sent you a PM concerning my tank if you are interested. I may be moving to Ohio but I won't know until April 15th. If I move I will have to sell it all :( Except the skimmer I'm taking that with me :)

Lucky someone ... obviously not me as I have no PM (sad)(sad)

Seriously, your tank is awesome.

Oh and congrats for being in Vet school :D