Flow

spectra

Ok am having an issue with flow in my 30 am trying to keep everyone happy but do not think it is working. I have 2 tunze nanostreams in there and things are moving but there are still a few dead spots that cyano is starting to grow on. Have been moving the tunzes trying to find the best flow but not working. Just when you think you have it the sand starts flyingDOH! So what are people doing with the smaller tanks? Let me know if you have a way that you like. Tank is a Oceanic cube and am also thinking of taking it down and drilling for a closed loop if I have to just to get rid of the powereheads. So if I do that what would you recomend for a pump?

Thanks!

Snapper is to big for a small cube. And as for the 6025 mine are both pointed up but the sand still movesDOH! Oh and both of them have been modified and opened up for a bigger flow area. I think I might have it figured out now we will see. Things seem to like the flow and are opening up nice will see how the SPS like it.

In my 30 cube i've got a 6025 and 2 Koralia #2s and i am pretty happy with the amount of flow. I have the 6025 and a #2 on the back wall pointed to the opposite corners. The other #2 is on the side aimed across the back. No major dead spots and the sand stays in place.

If you want a CLS the snapper is fine, although snappers are kind of a silly concept when a dart hard;ly costs any more and the flow will be there if you decide to take the sand out or even use the pump on soemthing else in the future

Simply taper it back with a ball valve after the pump to how much flow you want.

after the pump use 2" piping, split it to 1.5" and use 1.5" ports so you can get the most usable flow without the velocity. Do this and you can give that tank a whole lot more flow than people running too small of piping and outlet ports think while still keeping the sand on the ground.

Omniflex nozzles at the outlet ports are the sweetest option there is. Only stick out a couple inches and can be aimed anywehre you want.

In my 20g long I ran 2 MJ 1200's, one in each corner behind the rock. I had them on timers so they alternated being on and off and for five minutes out of 20 both were on at the same time. I also ran a Seio 620 out in front. The return from the sump was about 250 gph or so after head loss. After a day or two the sand settled where it would and I had no more problems. The most flow at a time was about 1400 gph or so, in a 20g.

Closed loops are pretty nice though. I use one on my 65g and have spraybars come from the back and under the rock, it works great.

But keep in mind Scott' date=' you'll need a 2" intake, or 2 1.5" intakes for those pumps. Those are some pretty large holes to put in thin glass.[/quote']

I already have a hole in the back for the 1 1/2 bulkhead for the drain. So a few more should not be a problem.

Yeah these Oceanics are about 5/16 thick. Hell I blew up a 29 gallon so whats the deal with the 30(whistle) I love to drill glass it is funDOH! Actually it drilled alot faster than I thought it would and worked out real well. I also drilled a small hole in the other corner for the return.