Custom made MH reflectors

Nyles

I have been working on this for sometime, the first mock up has been completed and pictures are below. I am working with a few members of PNWMAS to get some lighting tests done, I still have to test Mirrored stainless and white aluminum as potential easy access materials to MFG from (I will not be using german mirrored aluminum) I have used the mirrored stainless and it works wonderfully, its biggest drawback is weight, its very heavy, I have 8 reflectors now with stainless material and the weight is near 30-40 pounds for my T-5's. After I confirm this I will design a mogul mount and make what members need, price is going to be dependent on material, I want to keep this as cheap as possible, at this point I think we may end up in the $60-$75 range for each unit. These will have a slit to slide in a shield if need be. This is a one time deal guys!

The units rough dimension are 19" x 19" x 10 1/2"

Here are some pics for those interested, I am projecting manufacturing around beginning of april.

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

Nyles you should PM Samatsls, see if he can do a study of the reflector. You would probably have to give up rights to the design or something, but he would be able to find out if there are alot of hotspots and deadspots within the output.

SLS is releasing an amazing reflector soon, Jordan got a demo yesterday, it has over 100% higher output vs a lumenarc. I would have never believed it myself unless I saw photos of the lumen meter.

I might be interested in a few of these depending on how they turn out. Any way to make a better braket for holding the lamp? it looks like you just stuck it in the hole.

As posted in first post I will make the mogul mount when I make the rest of the reflectors. I'm not out to make the best reflector out there and not going to make 10 of these for testing, if I was I would be selling them and not disclosing any of this, however I have offered this too a few others and everyone I talked to wanted a few, it was recommended I share this with fellow members of PNWMAS, this is a one time deal, I'm getting a few for myself (the whole point) as I did when I had my T-5 reflectors manufactured, if you don't pay they won't be made, I am not about to keep track of you paid this, he paid that. This time I thought I would offer the same thing to members here that I have had done in the past. The more people get in the lower my cost per unit.. I have a really good relationship with my manufacture and they help me out when I ask, they will do everything in there power to keep cost down, matter of fact I would bet they will take a loss on these as they offered to make them free to me, but that has changed with more people on board, but its a favor I have asked of them for the multi millions of dollars of work I send them over the course of the year. I can't really go into detail but I assure you the company I am speaking of is way over qualified to do the work asked, these are layed out 3D and then laser cut. Now I just need to figure out materials available that will work best (hence the testing of light reflectivity), I'm not messing with fancy German materials. Matter of fact I debated making these from Galvanized and just tack in Mylar, it would work spectacularly.

Any more advice is always welcome.

Nyles,

Nice looking fixture! I would be more than happy to test it out if you're curious on the performance. We have a very nice lighting lab here with many different reflectors for that purpose. The only thing I see could be improved possibly is the placement of the lamp. I would guess the overall performance could be increased by adjusting the height where the lamp is entering the fixture. It would also be in your best interest to make that socket adjustable. Centering the arc tube is crucial. If you look at the top picture you posted, you can see what I mean. Only about 1/3 of the reflector is being fully utilized to reflect the light from the lamp....

Also, I'm curious about the material used. It's not the same as anything we currently use, but it appears to look good. We are using Alanod Miro materials exclusively. The type you may be mistaking this with is called 9033, or commonly referred to as Miro 9. It's textured, but more dimpled. In fact, the reflector Jordan has, the one Joel referred to above uses Miro 9. Check out the pics when they are posted!

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I'm more than impressed with your fixture. The build quality and edges are professional, riveting is super clean, and it's a great design. I just want to see it become the best it can be with a couple minor changes!

Sam

Sam, Thanks for the input, this was just thrown together, moving the hole for the light down moves the bulb more to the side, do I need to cut a even larger hole so the mogul goes inside to?

Do you have a readily available material? I can cut just about anything it just needs to be affordable, cost is my biggest concern, I want to keep the cost to a minimum, if I wanted to spend a lot I would just go buy a overpriced fixture at sunlight supply. I have lots of cool tools readily available, final fixtures will probably not be riveted but stitch welded with a "stitching" machine since it goes so fast.

Also I would be willing to bring the fixture to you for a few hours and go over things with you, I can plan it same day as I go to manufacture, and your welcome to go with me. Its a very large shop and I think you would be quite impressed. Anyhow let me know, it would be good to have some input, just keep in mind I don't want this to get out of hand nor do I want the cost to keep rising, these things just defy what my initial goals were. Cheap, simple, clean, durable, and effective.

I sure would be interested to run my DIY reflector through a test or two. It's the same design as Nyles' (Nyles, did you use the big or small pattern?); it'd be interesting to see if the highly polished aluminum really makes any difference at all..

Feel free to call me to arrange some testing Andy. Unfortunately, I can't bring people into the lab, (many un-released products), but I would be happy to do it for you and take a bunch of pictures.

Nyles, per our phone convo, I'll PM soon about the raw materials...

-Sam

Thanks Sam, I really appreciate you helping with input, get to have you here at PNWMAS!

Just got off phone with Sam.... Sheeew. My ear hurts man! LOL. Alright well some changes to come, I will move bulb down but I don't want to move down to much as it will make the light spread wider and wider the farther down I go, I may make a parabolic reflector at the top near the bulb to reflect the light thats trapped above the bulb, design a mount and if I can get "materials" from a good source I may do that, or I will go with reflective mirrored I have on hand possibly, I will make a call to my manufacture and find out, we will have to step away from rivets and I can only go with stitching as I go to a material that won't accept rivets because its to stout.

Thanks again for Sam stepping up to help more than I can say, also other members here like Izzypop for helping me out, I will get more info in the coming few weeks.

Yes, Andy the height of the lamp in the fixture is everything. It's so important in fact, bend lines and angles are formed around that point in designing a fixture. It's the goal of any reflector to use the reflector to it's maximum capabilities. No square inch of the aluminum should be "dead". This is a major part of what separates the good reflector companies from the bad ones. This is always why standard retro "gull wing" style reflectors are so poor in performance compared to pendants. The light is able to escape from the sides, and goes unused.

I've come to realize that the rectangular version I'm building right now isn't right for my SE bulbs. Le sigh. It's a good dry run at least.

Regarding the focus point for the bulb, I'm thinking that a laser pointer and some smoke will help find the sweet spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Was planning on going and doing the testing today but had a big fallout, those that want reflectors get ready to order as we are very close, I am willing to bet the mirrored stainless will have best reflectivity if so its what I will be using. Shooting for next Tuesday to head up and meet with the layout guys and test materials.

Stay tuned

• 2 weeks later...