OT-Computer Buying Help

R-3

I know there is a lot of computer knowledge on this board so lets use it. I need to buy a new desktop computer. I let my Dad borrow it since ive been using my laptop. I have a 19" LCD monitor and a printer so i dont need any of that, just a desktop. I want one that can do internet, play music, basic Microsoft office stuff. Nothing to fancy. Under $500

I found this one on Tiger Direct. Never used a EMachine but it comes with a Dual Core Intel and a Dual Layer Burner. Let me know what ya think. Point me in the right direction.

Heres the link

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2984471&Sku=E400-T5224

I owned a few eMachine desktops in the past and they are fine if you dont do any gaming. There power supplies are generaly underpowered but otherwise. Note, the system you listed will be fine for surfing the net or doing some typing, but Windows Vista sucks (dont worry it will get better and they will patch it, but its still in beta form). Dont get me wrong, vista is the way to go because by the mid/end of this year everything that releases will be made for vista but meh, I still dont like it. As a suggestion, check out www.pcclub.com They are a great place to get computers locally and I wouldnt go anywhere else. They have several stores in portland and beaverton area.

I bought an eMachine in 1999, paid over $700 for it then. 2 years later, the motherboard fried.

PC Club was able to build a nice PC for me very reasonably after salvaging what I could.

The opinion of eMachines that I have heard often, is that they are a good disposable computer for schools that will be replacing them every year anyway.

I was a service manager for a few years, Emach was the unit we serviced most, power supplies where the most common, however I think they are not the same machine they once where, they are from what I understand much better now, honestly I would rather buy a Dell or HP than an emachine though.

Hey Ryan, what did you go with? I would stay away from Emachines.

The best bang for your buck will be to build it yourself. Reuse things you have, like a hard drive, sound card, case, modem etc. The things you will need to upgrade are the motherboard, processor and ram. I upgraded my old Dell computer about 18months ago for around $250. And i had to replace the case as well. I think its kinda fun.

Let me know if you need any more help!