Moving from Washington to Oregon

I've been reefing now for about three years. My current tank has been wet for 2.5 years. I recently decided to relocate from the Seattle area to the mid-Willamette Valley. I've often been jealous of the face-to-face events PNWMAS organizes in Oregon, so I decided it was time to join the group.

I'm attempting to relocate most of my coral, fish and other inverts from my existing 230-gallon tank into a new peninsula setup with the hope of getting the existing tank setup again this winter.

PXL_20240318_021735500.jpg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Hello Scott!  Good to see you on PNWMAS

I look forward to seeing you again in person.  

When do you arrive?

Brittany

Edited by Brittany

On 5/18/2024 at 12:37 PM, Scott Colson said:

I've been reefing now for about three years. My current tank has been wet for 2.5 years. I recently decided to relocate from the Seattle area to the mid-Willamette Valley. I've often been jealous of the face-to-face events PNWMAS organizes in Oregon, so I decided it was time to join the group.

I'm attempting to relocate most of my coral, fish and other inverts from my existing 230-gallon tank into a new peninsula setup with the hope of getting the existing tank setup again this winter.

PXL_20240318_021735500.jpg

The tank is looking good. What is your plan for moving your livestock?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2024 at 9:42 PM, Lexinverts said:

The tank is looking good. What is your plan for moving your livestock?

Thanks! The basic plan is to get the new tank setup in Lebanon, seed it with some media that has been sitting in my sump, and let it stew for 4-5 weeks while I ghost feed it. 

Once that is done, I'll make multiple trips from Bainbridge Island to Lebanon (5 ish hour drive) with a mix of rock, coral, and fish in 20 gallon buckets. Each bucket will have a sponge filter and battery powered air pump to keep the water oxygenated. The sponge filters will be matured in my sump for a few weeks which I hope adds enough biological filtration to the mix to keep everything happy during the trip. Probably two trips but maybe three over 6 to 7 days.

Rock that I transport during each trip will add to what has been curing in the peninsula tank and I'm hoping enough of the biome moves with me the peninsula tank will skip any huge ugly period. 

After the final livestock trip, I'll tear down the 230 and move it and its support gear.

I was hoping to be done with the move by the end of July but I'm already behind schedule so hard to say how this will all shake out.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2024 at 1:49 PM, Scott Colson said:

Thanks! The basic plan is to get the new tank setup in Lebanon, seed it with some media that has been sitting in my sump, and let it stew for 4-5 weeks while I ghost feed it. 

Once that is done, I'll make multiple trips from Bainbridge Island to Lebanon (5 ish hour drive) with a mix of rock, coral, and fish in 20 gallon buckets. Each bucket will have a sponge filter and battery powered air pump to keep the water oxygenated. The sponge filters will be matured in my sump for a few weeks which I hope adds enough biological filtration to the mix to keep everything happy during the trip. Probably two trips but maybe three over 6 to 7 days.

Rock that I transport during each trip will add to what has been curing in the peninsula tank and I'm hoping enough of the biome moves with me the peninsula tank will skip any huge ugly period. 

After the final livestock trip, I'll tear down the 230 and move it and its support gear.

I was hoping to be done with the move by the end of July but I'm already behind schedule so hard to say how this will all shake out.

How’s the move going? 

On 8/24/2024 at 12:38 PM, Brittany said:

How’s the move going? 

I'm almost done! All the fish and most of the coral have been moved to temporary systems in Oregon. The remaining coral go this weekend.

Today I finished draining the old tank and slid it off the stand. I'll move it in a few weeks when I rent a truck and do the final load.

I'll start migrating things into the new tank by the end of September. So only two months behind my plan. Success 

PXL_20240830_215623437.jpg

• Like 5