Refractometer

gmiller

Calibration... I think. The cheep ones probably cannot be adjusted.

Optics... probably. All optical devices are not created equal. Maybe not to the same extreme, but think about the $75 digital camera that you can get anywhere to the $700 camera from a professional camera store... Which takes a better picture? An experienced photographer can take a good picture with the cheap-o camera, and a novice can use the expensive camera to make crummy photos. But all other things equal, you normally get better pics from the more expensive camera because the optical parts are made with more precision.

Manufacturing... probably. Where are they made, did they use lead paint (just kidding :) ) Did the person that is selling them get a bulk discount. Is the company taking a loss for this product so that you buy from them again. Many other reasons that I cannot think of right now can also affect the price.

dsoz

Nyles I dont know for sure what brand that on in the pictures is, I had lots of problems with the ones I was selling for $60. THe line inside would end up crooked, the eye piece often broke lose and would make it impossible to focus etc. The vendor I was buying them from even quit selling them because there were so many issues.

Now I sell a much better one for $99. I havent had a single one be returned to me.

If you notice, that marinedepot one, only has a 30 day warrantee. YIKES.

Interesting... is this the same customer that threw product on the ground and stomped on it one time when I was there? LOL

Being a refractometer I consider it a fragile device and I treat it as such, after seeing two other people down here using this model I decided to buy one, while I'm sure the 100 one is superior I still stand by this one for home use as long as its treated well.

I will have to check it out when I come up, should be in a week or so I hope.

Interesting... is this the same customer that threw product on the ground and stomped on it one time when I was there? LOL

Being a refractometer I consider it a fragile device and I treat it as such, after seeing two other people down here using this model I decided to buy one, while I'm sure the 100 one is superior I still stand by this one for home use as long as its treated well.

I will have to check it out when I come up, should be in a week or so I hope.

LOL that was too funny, Im pretty sure that was a swing arm hydrometer thought (laugh)

did you buy your refractometer from me? Does it have a blue box or black? The black boxes are the ones I had tons of trouble with.

The one I have is in a grey box with no handle. It worked great for a while but then the eye piece broke but it still works you just have to jiggle it a little(laugh) But can not complain as it was free(rock2) Have calibrated it once and seems to work well for me.

So Miles what is the 35PPT? Mine registers the normal numbers and the fluid I used works out to differant numbers than that. Just wondering is there something else out there?

I bought mine from Dr Foster and Smith...it is in the blue box and works great. I calibrate it with distilled water (to acheive a perfect Zero reading) monthly. I think it was around $50.00

Oh and as for the hydometers...hehehehehe...I have both the swing arm and the glass tube...amazing enough both fairly acurate, but not specific (forgive the pun) enough.

Kris

The one I have is in a grey box with no handle. It worked great for a while but then the eye piece broke but it still works you just have to jiggle it a little(laugh) But can not complain as it was free(rock2) Have calibrated it once and seems to work well for me.

So Miles what is the 35PPT? Mine registers the normal numbers and the fluid I used works out to differant numbers than that. Just wondering is there something else out there?

35ppt is what the ocean is at. PPT = Parts Per Thousand.

If you have one of the cheaper refractometers like I do, just calibrating with RO water will give you the wrong reading.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php Here is a good read and gives you a way to make your own calibration fluid

Nyles I dont know for sure what brand that on in the pictures is, I had lots of problems with the ones I was selling for $60. THe line inside would end up crooked, the eye piece often broke lose and would make it impossible to focus etc. The vendor I was buying them from even quit selling them because there were so many issues.

That's what happenend to mine. The eye peice broke and now you have to hold the eye piece with one hand to focus everytime. Kinda lame, didn't have it very long. It still works, but not like it's supposed to. All considered it's still better then the hydrometer.

Refractometer

I've got the Marine Depot model prevoiusly linked. It is ATC and can be calibrated with solution or distilled water. The eyepiece is diopter adjustable. It has worked flawlessly for the last 8 months@ 2-3 times per week. Finished with suprising quality (hard chromed). It does not fall out of calibration, easily.