Ultimate skimmer selection! 125G +

R-3

Okay so now that my remodel is getting the finishing touches on it Im starting to piece together the new tank. Its Dennis's 125. I have the lights, sump, return and flow devices figured out. What I really am deciding on is what skimmer to buy.

Ive had most success with Euro-Reefs. I have a ASM G-3 and a PM w/GENX 2400NW that are sitting in the garage. I dont think I wanna use either skimmer. Im thinking of something that is just gonna kill this tank. Something like a ATB Cone skimmer, new Octopus EXT line, BM.......

Help me decide, or at least give me some links to info. Money is somewhat of a issue but I will spend the money if I think its worth it. So lets hear it! Tell me about your ultimate skimmer!!!

ATB Cone with the eheim 1260 will pull anything and everything out of your tank. You can feed 4-5x's a day and still have to feed more for your corals. I'm running the smaller model on my setup (approx 65g total water volume) and it is just ridiculous. Before that I had a BK mini 160 and before that a DAS EX1. All very nice skimmers but if you're willing to spend the loot go with the ATB and you won't regret it.

oh yeah customer service is really, really good. that may change a bit as the company grows but Victor actually calls me like every few weeks just to see how the skimmer is doing. Also it only takes a couple days to receive stuff from him since he's in the northern CA area.

I'm also experimenting with building my own cone skimmers. I so far have been heat-forming acrylic and using WO 42 for the seam, and while it definately works (holds water), it doesn't look great. I'll look into PETG like they did, but I'm curious on their "hot-air welding" rig.

But long story short, if you're looking into buying one of these and can wait a few weeks while I play around, I should be able to get you a clone of these skimmer for MUCH cheaper.

-Sol

Yeah you will not regret the purchase of an ATB skimmer, I love the medium that I have it just continues to improve as time goes on. As for customer service it is great; Victor emailed me yesterday to see how it was doing. Its nice to have that level of support from the vendor, I thought the Tunze support rocked but this is even better.

Rich

Hey Joel,

Have you seen the ORCA 200? They say on the premiumaquatics site that the pump is a "restricted dart-needlewheel", but I'm not sure quite what they mean by "restricted".

Reason being, I've been asked by a customer to make a skimmer out of some 10" tube they gave me. I'm worried a full on dart needlewheel would be too much air, but obviously they have SOME way to get this on an 8" tube, and I wonder how they do it...

-Sol

• 3 weeks later...

Get the ATB Ryan. I've never smelled nastier skimmate in my life. I picked up an ATB small after seeing one in use on a 120 with a medium bioload. I'm going to break it in on my roommates 90 until my new project gets finished. I'll let you know how it works for him. He currently has a mid size (not sure model number) Euro-Reef which does a good job. I'm curious to see if it will do better.

I believe what helps make my skimmate so nasty on such a small volume is that I use Zeovit system (high bacteria load in water), relatively high fish load, and most detritus stays in suspension until it reaches skimmer (bare bottom + 100x's turnover):

1 Banggai Cardinal

1 Six line

1 Mystery Wrasse

1 Longnose

2 Flame Hawk

1 African Flameback

3 Anthias :)

I feed fish 5x's a day, corals 2x's per night and I am struggling to keep colors on my corals.