Get lazy, get burned... (aka, algae grew in my plumbing)

obrien.david.j

When I super sized my CaReactor last holidays, I changed my feed water source.  I draw water / return water to my Chaeto grow tank, so any excess CO2 can feed those plants first.

This meant I ran about 30 feet of 1/4" RO tubing around the equipment room.   I had dark green tubing - which I chose for the Return Line color.  And wanted to use Red as the feed line color, but didn't have enough.  So I used std home-depot ice maker tubing, kind of the plastic milk jug color.   Then ordered Red tubing to upgrade later... and got Lazy.   I never swapped the red tubing in.  Until Today...

Return water rate has been slowing for the last month.  I thought it was a dirty intake to the feed bump.  Today I cleaned that intake, and Bang - feed line was actually clogged by algae growth.   So today a 5 minute job, turned into an hour.   As I ripped out my temp tubing, and installed the final Red tube, which doesn't let light in.

I got lazy, I got burned.   This is the ugly tubing, now in my garbage can.

image.jpeg

• Like 1