Live Rock and Dead Rock

LastMile

I’m starting up the 250gallon waterbox, eventually. The last tank I had was started with dry rock, and everything seemed to be a fight. This time around I’d like to do a mix. The tank foot print is roughly 7’x30”x24”, and I’m gonna build three rock formations. I’d like to do my take on the nsa on the outside formations, and the live rock pile in the middle. I’d like to build the structures, and start cycling them with some live rock while I finish up the other things I need to do pre-tank. 

I’m hoping someone here has bought some live rock recently, and I’d like to know how it turned up. I’ve heard a couple names recently, but I’d like some reassurance before I drop the cash on rock. 

A few questions I’ve been kicking around recently:

Will the 1/3 live to 2/3 dead be a decent ratio?

How warm I’m I going to need to keep that rock? It’ll mostly be in an unfinished basement. I could drag the cans upstairs if we’re going to get another cold snap, but the more it stays out of the house the happier the girlfriend will stay. 

Nothing wrong with that plan. I’d probably still seed it with Fritzyme or similar when getting the tank going. As far as rock in the basement, just toss a small heater in your holding tank. I’ve done this many times in Brute trash cans with lids on and kept things plenty warm in an unconditioned garage, even during low temps.

As far as where you source live rock, hard to say. Pests can be found in most but usually not a ton. Might see if someone will sell some from an established system. Also had good luck with a chunk from Cuttlefish when I was first starting my tank and trying to get more biodiversity.

Also, many times pests can get handled with proper stocking, think of a good “maintenance wrasse” to have (yellow coris we’re always a fav of mine).

Maybe elaborate on what was a fight when you did dry rock? Did you not seed it with any live at all?

• Like 1

Well, it was a 30gallon frag tank, but I never could get it to balance out and jive. The nutrients would crash, and then skyrocket repeatedly. Which lead to dino outbreaks, followed by algae. My first tank, 15 years ago, seemed to find its groove, and steady out. As far as pests, I ended up with them anyways in the dry rock tank, so I’m not super concerned with that. The only seeding I did was a bottle of bacteria, and I don’t remember which one it was. 

Another question I forgot to add, does 50lbs of rock per structure sound like a decent starting place?

I have 51 pounds if you need any. It’s currently in a tote with saltwater heater and pump. Was thinking about starting the drying process and just storing it, or if anyone wants it it’s cheap or trade, I know everyone wants to start with dry rock nowadays because of pest concerns. There’s a couple 7-8 pound rocks and several 1-2 pounds and everything in between and smaller. Several newer white rocks  that haven’t been in a tank yet that were cycled a couple months ago that are left over from my newer downsizing. If you want to start over with them it shouldn’t be too difficult 

9D63B86D-A2A8-4C86-86AB-6D396A7749C7.jpeg

Edited by TaylorW