Jump to content

Led modifications


Vis
 Share

Recommended Posts

Has anyone built their own led lights? I’m looking for a small bulb and the reef ones are all too large. This one is the correct size about 5 cm but it has lots of reds in it. I’m wondering if it’s possible to modify and replace the reds with blues and whites. Is this pure craziness? 

4E6BAC5B-8B42-4783-B0E7-C6C1EDE15A70.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Abarger16 said:

Ive looked into it multiple times. Ive used this site before https://www.ledsupply.com

Ive been planned on making my own bars and even making a puck but where it gets difficult is finding a PCB that matches your need with out paying for custom boards

I’m going to have to look up what a PCB is 🤣. So you think it’s doable if I can find one? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its doable but. It just takes some research. And depends on what your needs are such as do you want individual channel control? How many leds are you trying to fit in this. The diy route quickly gets out of hand but it really seems like its an enjoyable path. What are you trying to light?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Abarger16 said:

Its doable but. It just takes some research. And depends on what your needs are such as do you want individual channel control? How many leds are you trying to fit in this. The diy route quickly gets out of hand but it really seems like its an enjoyable path. What are you trying to light?

I’m making a little micro tank and I’d like to try growing Zoas in it. I need a 3 inch bulb like in the picture but the reef ones are all 4 inches. Just enough light for easy softies and the tank is only about 6 inches deep so it wouldn’t need to be super strong. I think it could be fun if I knew what I was doing 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Abarger16 said:

Is it a pnw custom tank? Ive been looking at those!

No but those are adorable!!! 
I made this one for my blackworms and then got the crazy idea to make one for corals. I didn’t think it would be so difficult to find a light. 

66CB02EF-436C-4717-8723-DD9E6AD52BAC.jpeg

85A40D0E-0607-4B2D-BF4C-E4BA90456EA3.jpeg

E92B5F7B-A0BE-485A-94B1-225ED339B661.jpeg

7FDE2931-C37C-43D1-923A-15C170B8251E.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Vis, I have done a number of LED mods (mainly Viparspectra) but honestly it’s rarely worth the money you put into diodes. 
 

If you want a small fixture for reef animals, I’d suggest you look into the Lominie A20. These are awesome little $50 lights that use the same single lens tech as Kessil. I believe they’re under 3” diameter. 

Lominie LED Aquarium Light, Nano Asta 20 Full Spectrum Remote Control Fish Tank Lamp 4 Channels Dimmable for Rimless Saltwater Coral Reef Aquarium Tank (S20 20W Saltwater) https://a.co/d/hKkqEcx

 

I have the bigger Pixie30 version (30w that I got for fun to see it as it’s $70) and it’s been solid for 3 years now. I have this on the PNW Custom 1g I got from Harley and it’s been awesome but way too powerful. I have to tune it down a ton as the 30w puts out 350+ par when max blues on a tank this small. 
 

It’s fun to do those LED mods but unless you know what you’re doing it’s usually not worth the time and costs. 

E43FEDFF-9A72-4544-B16B-980A7B5C2E96.jpeg

Edited by DaveZ
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, DaveZ said:

Hey Vis, I have done a number of LED mods (mainly Viparspectra) but honestly it’s rarely worth the money you put into diodes. 
 

If you want a small fixture for reef animals, I’d suggest you look into the Lominie A20. These are awesome little $50 lights that use the same single lens tech as Kessil. I believe they’re under 3” diameter. 

Lominie LED Aquarium Light, Nano Asta 20 Full Spectrum Remote Control Fish Tank Lamp 4 Channels Dimmable for Rimless Saltwater Coral Reef Aquarium Tank (S20 20W Saltwater) https://a.co/d/hKkqEcx

 

I have the bigger Pixie30 version (30w that I got for fun to see it as it’s $70) and it’s been solid for 3 years now. I have this on the PNW Custom 1g I got from Harley and it’s been awesome but way too powerful. I have to tune it down a ton as the 30w puts out 350+ par when max blues on a tank this small. 
 

It’s fun to do those LED mods but unless you know what you’re doing it’s usually not worth the time and costs. 

E43FEDFF-9A72-4544-B16B-980A7B5C2E96.jpeg

Thanks for the info! You are probably 100% correct. I once read a joke that went something like “ I just spent $75 dollars on supplies at Michael’s, to make something I saw on Pinterest, which I could have bought for $15. “ I related way too much to that one 🤣

Your tank is so adorable! I’ll look into the light. Thank you! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vis said:

Thanks for the info! You are probably 100% correct. I once read a joke that went something like “ I just spent $75 dollars on supplies at Michael’s, to make something I saw on Pinterest, which I could have bought for $15. “ I related way too much to that one 🤣

Your tank is so adorable! I’ll look into the light. Thank you! 

100%. There’s something really rewarding about doing something yourself but that doesn’t equal saving time and money.

If you were looking for a new skill in soldering and thinking through finding PCB boards and diodes to make a reef light, that is really great…but not as great as seeing a thriving reef. 
 

Thanks re: the pico tank. The pico has been really fun and super easy as it’s going to be softies only. No other livestock due to some instability. Temp swings from 74° low to 80°+ high is my biggest issue in the garage office but softies don’t seem to care. I just suck some rodi on an extra dosing head so that is no problem for keeping stable salinity/SG.
 

But overall they are really fun tanks and insanely easy. Not sure why so many reefers say picos and nanos are hard 🤷🏽‍♂️. 100% 1g water change weekly and takes a whopping 3 minutes and then filling up RODI dosing. Just use live rock from the get-go and don’t overstock with animals that produce waste and it’s a piece of cake. Lowest maintenance tank I have. 

Edited by DaveZ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DaveZ said:

100%. There’s something really rewarding about doing something yourself but that doesn’t equal saving time and money.

If you were looking for a new skill in soldering and thinking through finding PCB boards and diodes to make a reef light, that is really great…but not as great as seeing a thriving reef. 
 

Thanks re: the pico tank. The pico has been really fun and super easy as it’s going to be softies only. No other livestock due to some instability. Temp swings from 74° low to 80°+ high is my biggest issue in the garage office but softies don’t seem to care. I just suck some rodi on an extra dosing head so that is no problem for keeping stable salinity/SG.
 

But overall they are really fun tanks and insanely easy. Not sure why so many reefers say picos and nanos are hard 🤷🏽‍♂️. 100% 1g water change weekly and takes a whopping 3 minutes and then filling up RODI dosing. Just use live rock from the get-go and don’t overstock with animals that produce waste and it’s a piece of cake. Lowest maintenance tank I have. 

Good to know. I did buy the cutest little heater to put in. It’s about an inch long . I’m trying to figure out a tiny auto top off. We will see how it all works. I’m just going to have fun with it. I might have to pick your brain if I have any issues come up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Vis said:

Good to know. I did buy the cutest little heater to put in. It’s about an inch long . I’m trying to figure out a tiny auto top off. We will see how it all works. I’m just going to have fun with it. I might have to pick your brain if I have any issues come up. 

Happy to help in any way I can. 👍

IMO keeping things simple with these little picos is the best for long term success. 
 

I would suggest a single head doser before ATO. It was really easy to lock in evap rates over a week. Never gotten close to overfilling.
 

As far as heat exchange, I didn’t like the look with the lid on. Something magical about that top down view. But a mini heater on a timer to only be on at night might be something worth exploring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DaveZ said:

Happy to help in any way I can. 👍

IMO keeping things simple with these little picos is the best for long term success. 
 

I would suggest a single head doser before ATO. It was really easy to lock in evap rates over a week. Never gotten close to overfilling.
 

As far as heat exchange, I didn’t like the look with the lid on. Something magical about that top down view. But a mini heater on a timer to only be on at night might be something worth exploring. 

The heater on a timer idea is brilliant! I’ve never even seen a doser in action so I’ll have to figure out how that works. I’ll post a pic of what I was thinking of doing and I’d love your input. Thanks! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DaveZ said:

Happy to help in any way I can. 👍

IMO keeping things simple with these little picos is the best for long term success. 
 

I would suggest a single head doser before ATO. It was really easy to lock in evap rates over a week. Never gotten close to overfilling.
 

As far as heat exchange, I didn’t like the look with the lid on. Something magical about that top down view. But a mini heater on a timer to only be on at night might be something worth exploring. 

This is what I was thinking of using for the ato. There are 2 little tubes that you cut to determine the water level. I’d cut the bottle down so you wouldn’t see it and add a cap. I’d probably need to top it up frequently. On the R will be the media basket . 
Thoughts? 

76797CD9-276B-4EBE-9F09-DBA445A3CAAB.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 12:01 PM, Vis said:

This is what I was thinking of using for the ato. There are 2 little tubes that you cut to determine the water level. I’d cut the bottle down so you wouldn’t see it and add a cap. I’d probably need to top it up frequently. On the R will be the media basket . 
Thoughts? 

76797CD9-276B-4EBE-9F09-DBA445A3CAAB.jpeg

I have never done an ATO like this. I’d say as long as it has enough water to where you’re not needing to refill it all the time, it should be good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DaveZ said:

I have never done an ATO like this. I’d say as long as it has enough water to where you’re not needing to refill it all the time, it should be good. 

I’m going to play around with it and see how it works. 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...