SPS death related to lighting?

sontdo

reefboy, your low flow trays might actually have a ton of flow compared to the oversll volume or surface area of the corals, or you have low velocity flow but over a large area, so it has the appearance of low.

I'm taking a wild guess, but your reef trays are probably pretty small (i'm imagining the invert cubes common at LFS) so you are probably getting good flow around the corals.

Letys say your reef trays are supplied by a 1in pipe at 5psi (return pump that can put out 15ft of head, minus 5ft of elevation), that equals 25gpm or 1500gph.

sontdo has a large tank with two small powerheads so he was probably getting poor nutrient delivery/waste removal to/from the SPS...

I have had my 28g nanocube setup for 6 months now and have been fairly sucessful with my SPS. Haven't lost a frag other than one that fell behind the rockwork and about 2 brown-outs, but thats about it. In my 28g nanocube I have a korrillia #2, nanostream 6025, and a MJ900 equivilent for the return with a 150W HQI bulb. However my water is only 20in deep and my 150W HQI is an inch from the water's surface.

Sontdo, remember, radiation (light) drops off by the distance squared. So halving the distance of your lights to the corals with result in a quadrupling of intensity (and heat).

I'd like to hear what happens when you get the new pumps, they look pretty cool and are a cheap alternative to specialized stream pumps.

reefboy, your low flow trays might actually have a ton of flow compared to the oversll volume or surface area of the corals, or you have low velocity flow but over a large area, so it has the appearance of low.

I'm taking a wild guess, but your reef trays are probably pretty small (i'm imagining the invert cubes common at LFS) so you are probably getting good flow around the corals.

Letys say your reef trays are supplied by a 1in pipe at 5psi (return pump that can put out 15ft of head, minus 5ft of elevation), that equals 25gpm or 1500gph.

sontdo has a large tank with two small powerheads so he was probably getting poor nutrient delivery/waste removal to/from the SPS...

I have had my 28g nanocube setup for 6 months now and have been fairly sucessful with my SPS. Haven't lost a frag other than one that fell behind the rockwork and about 2 brown-outs, but thats about it. In my 28g nanocube I have a korrillia #2, nanostream 6025, and a MJ900 equivilent for the return with a 150W HQI bulb. However my water is only 20in deep and my 150W HQI is an inch from the water's surface.

Sontdo, remember, radiation (light) drops off by the distance squared. So halving the distance of your lights to the corals with result in a quadrupling of intensity (and heat).

I'd like to hear what happens when you get the new pumps, they look pretty cool and are a cheap alternative to specialized stream pumps.

umm nope there 4ft long 2ft wide by a 10inch deep

well there you have it, 50 gallons. You would need to have 195gph to have roughly similar changeover to sontdo. I bet you have much more than that, and if it is a prop tank I am gussing your supply and overflow are on opposite ends so you are getting reasonable laminar flow from one end to the other, whereas sontdo has his aiming directly at each other so some of his flow is bing reduced by turbulance.

also, sontdo probably has LR that further disrupts his flow, whereas you prop tank may just have the fragging racks that allows more laminar flow.

water can be very deceiving. that's how people underestimate the force of water in a flood and try to cross a road and get dumped into the drink

I'd go with Nyle's advice or any of the others to start. Im not sure if there would be a huge difference between the different options, as long as you get water circulating in most areas of the tank. All we know is that the flow in an ocean is huge and there is not usually very high water velocities. Powerheads in our tanks are poor at replicating this flow because they put out high water velocity in a narrow path. In the ocean two opposing streams of water are rarely pointed at one another, but if the corals don't seem to mind, it may work well enough. But ideally there should be one stream pump on each end of the tank set to run on LONG alternating cycles (hours), just like the tides in the ocean. As long as the corals are happy, it doesn't really matter what configuration you end up with. Why buy a wavemaker if your corals seem healthly, you know?