SPS death related to lighting?

sontdo

I bought few SPS frags, acropora, which are gone now. My yellow leather is shriveled and is almost gone too. My LPS, zoos are OK. I'm not sure why SPS died. I have 6 Actinic VHO 110W; 2 175W MH; 100G; 15W UV sterilizer; recently water changed 40% of tank; Actinic on 8 hours; MH on 5 hours; 2 powerheads with natural wave setting in the opposit direction. Water condition is good.

I would like to get more SPS frags but not sure if they will survive with the current lighting. Should I upgrade my lighting to 250W or 400W MH or add seaswirl for better current. Any input or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for the input. Just clarifying: I add 2 Max Jet 1200 in addition to the current powerhead MaxJet 900 and 600. what direction of water flow should I aim for. I can only put powerheads in the back of the tank and not on the sides.

Do the SPSs need to be high, medium in the tank. Thanks again guys.

you could mod the 900 as well if you like, the kits are $15. as far as position it really depends on your lights, with what you have I would start them half way up and if they don't color up well I would shoot for raising the frags up. As for flow just don't point the powerhead at the coral at more than 12" away, I like to keep mine at the top and I have on pointing towards the center back to keep waste in suspension on my 72" long tank. You won't be able to put the powerheads down low because they will blow the same all over in that 20" deep tank, if in fact thats what it is.

I have MaxJet 900 and 600 pointing toward each other in the back of the tank, in the center back. Should I add 1200 or another 900 in the back, pointing to the front of the tank? Where can get a reasonable price MaxJet? Online usually is less expensive but have to wait.

I think Nyles was talking about MJmods, where you mod the Maxijet with a RC boat prop similar to Tunze pumps. This really ramps up their output, the MJ1200 stock is like 196gph, after modding its more like 1500gph.

If it were me, i would add 2 of the Sureflow mods, or go with a couple Koralia 4s in there. This is the link to the Sureflows

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~AF1551~idCategory~FIPHAC~category~Algae_Free_Sure_Flow_1600_Maxi_Jet_Upgrade_Kit_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Powerheads_Accessories~vendor~.html

I'm gonna chime in and recommend the Tunze Nano Streams (here, for example). They're a bit more expensive, but their mounting system is, imo, the best out there. You can place them just about anywhere, and point them in just about any direction. Koralias come a close second, but don't have as wide a directional range. Just something to think about.

thanks for the website for sureflows. So should I get another MJ 1200 pump in addition to what I have now: 900/600. Thanks.

Thats what I mean... two sureflow kits and two maxi 1200. You can try that and if you feel you need more flow add a few of those existing ones back in, but those two sure flows will completely BLOW AWAY what you have

Tunzes are 'spensive but they kick(censored). I have 2 in my 180g (plus 4 Rios, a Sieo, and another pump behind the rocks). Tunzes provide SERIOUS current, and Andy's right about the mounting--with the magnetic mounters it's a breeze and you can move them anywhere. Just my 2cents :D

IMO I'd put SPS in the top 1/2 of the tank. Mine flourish in the top 1/3 of mine (which is 24"D and has 750MH & 624W Actinic03s), and they also seem to like a fair bit of direct current...

Good luck!

How old is your system hate to say this but I keep sps in low current trays with no problems im thinking your tank may still be abit to young to support acro types if it less then 8 months old and id check all parameters make sure there in check one cause may be fluxing ph and any number of things if your system is young anyways just my two cents check phos as well.

hi reefboy,

you're right. my tank is about 4 month old. my LPS is doing fine. I just bought some acros and will see if they survive. I'll have to increase current flow and lighting. Will check phosphorus. pH is OK. Thanks for your insight.

Never hurts to increase flow and lighting( as long as heat dosnt become a issue) hope new additions do well but you may just need to wait abit more and you'll get what you want:D