New 60gal mixed tank.

Hashbrown

This first post will be a regurgitation from my intro post. I should of come here first before buying stuff, but I don’t think I’m headed in a wrong direction. 

tank specs

water box Marine x 60gal with sump, octa reef 150 skimmer, octa reef various 2 pump, pentair 25w uv filter, 2x radion xr15 lights, Helios ptc heater, nero 3 wave pump.

going with 60lbs live rock with live sand and I bought a ro/di system so I’ll be making my own salt water. 

now that I am understanding things better I need to monitor salinity regularly. I see the apex el would be able to monitor this, plus I can return my heater and just buy a titanium element?

questions….

Is dowsing the mainstream or will I be fine sending out testing kits and just adding what would be needed? 

with what I have so far, am I better off with the Milwaukie? Instruments salinity tester?

is the apex system reliable enough to run as a stand alone heater?

Any input would be appreciated or if I’m forgetting anything. I plan on having an appointment with obsession pdx when I get the tank setup and at my 6 week mark before I start introducing corals and fish. 

You are going in the right direction , I wouldn't think about dosing till you start getting into alot of corals and sps. I cant touch on the apex because thats too deep for my pockets lol. But titanium is the best.when mixing you want 2 containers 1 mixing,other rodi for top off. Get a spare heater and powerhead for mixing.also so you don't temp shock when you do waterchanges.also I would run skimmer on 8hrs during the day but off at night just to help bacteria build but thats my thought.i used bottle bacteria for cycling.  Dr tims,turbo start. Also make sure to get a coral DIP and dip corals before adding to your new tank to avoid starting with problems. Good luck on your venture. 

• Thanks 1

I would recommend plugging in the Helios ptc heater controller into the Apex. Plugging a titanium heating element directly into the Apex power bank will wear out the switching outlets prematurely. 

fwiw - if funds are limited you can always skip the apex. 

Edited by jtichenor

1 hour ago, jtichenor said:

I would recommend plugging in the Helios ptc heater controller into the Apex. Plugging a titanium heating element directly into the Apex power bank will wear out the switching outlets prematurely. 

fwiw - if funds are limited you can always skip the apex. 

The apex isn’t out of the budget if there ever was one because our original budget doubled over night lol. At this point it is what do I need to make this a successful endeavor. My wife ordered the tank and water boxes marketing is awefull. Who labels a system a 60gal and counts a 20gal sump as part of naming for the kit. We are returning it as a 36gal tank is not what we want.

on the list is a innovative marine ext75, I have crystal 30 trigger sump new in package I can still return if I choose my other option a mode aquariums 75g infinity. 

Just now, jtichenor said:

A lot of the saltwater/reef 'systems' are labeled this way now. It will be important to know your total system water volume when adding additives. The ext75 is a sweet system as well. Larger systems will be more stable and are easier (imho) to begin with.

Good to know. It was very deceiving and stupid expensive for a 36gal with pressboard stand.