HQI ballast question

Jay

Hello:

If I wanted to change to 400 watt ballast and run HQI DE halide bulbs will I have to have one of those glass lens sheilds? With my SE 250 watt bulbs I have no sheild but it seems like I have read that with HQI DE bulbs you need the sheild? Anyone?

If you had your choice would you use DE or SE 400 watt bulbs? I am thinking that because I already have the SE setup wired with reflectors I could just swap out the ballast and get new bulbs and be done with it.

Seems like I like the look of the HQI DE better then the SE mogul type bulbe. Do you agree?

Jay

I have 400w PFO HQI ballast. But I run SE bulbs. I have never run DE bulbs so I really can't answer the question.

I would think you want to have a sheild on a DE bulb. Without the sheild you will lose reflectivity as the reflector gets dirty, (with salt creep and water spots).

Just a guess HTH

So this meens you are overdriving your 400 watt mogul bulbs with the HQI ballast right?

I am thinking I will stay with the 250 watt setup I have now. After some research this am I think I will just switch bulbs. I am thinking about trying the new Reeflux 10000k bulb. I have ARO electronic ballasts that will work with them I think.

Jay

If you're using DE bulbs' date=' you need to have the UV shielded glass to protect your eyes, skin, etc. from UV rays. SE bulbs have that built in around the bulb, not not for DE.[/quote']

This is correct, and what I have read as well.

Thanks!

So, would there be a danger with a DE MH in a pendent hung in a canopy?

Do I have to turn the light off each time I want to open the canopy to do something (feed, clean etc.)?

The tank isn't set up yet, so this is a good time to learn more about the dangers of MH, I guess...

Don't know what to tell you there, but I wouldn't chance it. About a year or so ago, a gymnasium had a cracked MH bulb and I know a few teachers and parents got sick/burnt or something of the like. Of course their lights are more powerful, but yet again, your eyes and arms are much closer to the tank. I'd Google it some more to find more educated info on it. Think of it also as UV from the sun can cause skin cancer, but we didn't study aquarium lighting in nursing school :)

How would I know if the glass on a used set-up I bought is the UV shielded type?

And where could I get a piece if needed?

Most glass absorbs UV light. That is why you cannot get a suntan/sunburn when you are in the car or through a window, even though you stand in direct sunlight for a long time.

I would think that as long as the glass is 1/8 inch thick, you should be ok

dsoz

Well everything I read says otherwise, I quickly just pulled up the latest article on RC written this last couple weeks...

The other major group of metal halides is the double-ended tubes, commonly called HQI (high quartz iodide). These are arc tubes with contacts at both ends, like fluorescents. The tube is fairly thin and has no outer shield tube. Please Note - This unshielded arc tube emits dangerous U.V. radiation and quartz glass does not block it. Do not look at the bare tube. Always have a plain glass or U.V. protected plastic panel between the arc and the viewer when using this type of MH. Untreated clear plastic, like the sides of an acrylic tank, is transparent to U.V. These are always pulse start as far as I know. HQI bulbs' main advantages are that more can be placed inside a hood, and their reflector design can be smaller, than mogul base lights. They do run hotter than mogul based MHs, and may produce slightly more light. I favor HQIs for most applications, but mogul-based tubes are usually cheaper.

I would not take the chance... here is the link

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-12/newbie/index.php

sorry.. i guess i was a little vague with what i said, i meant UV glass versus regular glass. That they both block the same amout of UV rays. And NEVER run DE bulbs with no glass. Sorry bout that, guess it did look like thats what i was saying.

cant find it now, but i'll keep looking, i have it around here somewhere.