Oh no! Red bugs!

siskiou

Okay, I'm ready for the attack!

The corals in question are all in the quarantine tank and I have the interceptor here (thanks, Nyles).

Should I add it right now, or wait until the corals have adjusted to the QT lighting and flow a bit and look reasonably happy before dosing?

I dipped two of them in the Seachem iodine dip beforehand, but I can't tell if the RB on them are dead or alive.

Will report in further as things develop.

redbugs.jpg

I dosed around 2pm.

The first hour, nothing much seemed to be happening.

I just checked again, and the numbers have shrunken dramatically.

There are still a few bugs hanging on, but it's definitely working.

I'm going to leave the interceptor in for 18 hrs and then do a water change and run carbon.

I'll leave the corals in QT for at least a couple of weeks, so I can be sure they have died without a host in the main tank and I may dose the QT again in a week, depending on what I see.

Hopefully, the corals will do fine with 96w of pc lighting on a 10G for that amount of time.

pH is holding steady at 8.3 so far, but the temp is going up some.

Once it hits 81.5 F, I'll turn off the light. Was going to run a fan on it, but have no place to put it where the tank is sitting.

Yes, so far so good!

There are varying opinions on treating again or not.

Apparently Borneman found that RBs don't lay eggs (they have a brood pouch), and if dosed once for longer (12-24 hrs) all the RBs should be wiped out with one treatment.

I'm going to see if anything pops up in the next week or so.

For some reason the pH in the QT is high (8.5). In my other tanks I can barely keep it at 8.2.

And here I was worried the pH would drop like a rock in the 10G quarantine. (scratch)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mbeef61

any updates out there?

also, is it ok to dip the corals attached to liverock in REEF DIP (pretty much same as TMPCC), what would the effect be on the rock, i am fine with minimal bacterial damage but will it leach into it? any experiences?

No idea on the reef dip.

Update: corals are still in the 10G QT. No sign of red bugs and corals look fine for being under pc lighting.

I haven't dosed a second time yet and may not do it, since I did a strong dose for a longer time (as to Borneman's instructions).

I'll leave the corals in QT a while longer, so I can act quickly if I see any more bugs.