Are there coral placement Charts or Pictures.

huskerduck

Im getting alot of different varietys of corals, is there a recomended article or chart with pictures as to what corals can be placed close to others as they grow, I have alot of varietys and colors of Monti that seem to not be effected by pulsing zenias and polyps. If you go into Upscales, they have stony corals completely wrapping around other stony corals. I dont retain what something is called very well and something with pictures would help. I have singularia that gets so big it blows into a leather and they seem to be fine touching eachother. Any rules of thumb as corals grow rapidly as to what needs to be so many inches from what? I have Montis that grow so fast theyre bound to touch something. I have had a bright red Monti that was growing at a spectacular rate and color and one moring wake up to see him completely white? Nothing touching him that I was aware and a nice show piece down the tubes for unknown reason.

Can corals develope an ammunity as they grow larger and closer to other, I have a nice purple monti thats pretty small and all a sudden hes starting to die and its nowhere near anything else, not a rapid death like my red one but every day a little more white and less purple.

Water tests show good, salinity a bit high but it always has been at 1.025.5, Magnesium a little low, hard to keep it up and if I dont add regularly it diminishes quickly? Alkalinity has been a problem @ 7-8 and dropping if I dont use dKH buffers. Calcium is always high at around 475 using a calcium reactor ( which should keep alkalinity high as well) Im not sure how to drop calcium other than turn of calcium reactor completely which I have for a week and all that does is drop Alkalinity, no effect on Calcium. My biggest problem is magnesim and alkalinity, my pH is always 8.2 never deviates

Do you have any hydnophora (I think it is how it is spelled). They have stinging sweeper tentacles that can reach out 8 inches or more. The sweepers come out only at night, and there are some NASTY pictures of them wrapping their stinging tentacles around other corals and stinging them to death over-night. I got a hydnophora because I liked the color (bright highlighter green), then I researched what it is, and placed it far away from any of my other corals.

If it is only montipora that you have that are turning white, you could try looking for monti-eating-nudibranchs. If you are infected with these pests, they will eat you out of every montipora that you own if you don't treat it. This pest is one of the worst (hardest to treat) in the hobby. Not that I want to scare you or anything, but you really should look for little white slugs and clusters of eggs on the bottom side of your montis.

If you have them, let me know and I can get you some of the potassium permanganate that you would need to treat the problem (I have 10 lbs of the stuff). You would also want to set up a hospital tank for the montipora that do survive treatment so you can let your display sit monti-free for about 1.5-2 months so the nudibranch dies out. I could also help you out over Christmas break if you want.

dsoz

Hmm i dont see any eggs or slugs under the dying monti, I have lots of montis and its just the rapid growing red one that died and now this small purple one, under the little purple one there appears to be something but not white, sort of a tanish brown vine like thing but appears more vine than egg or slug. its very very small, can I turkey baster it? I have pretty large montis throughout the tank and noticing I have lots of small ones growing about everywhere from broken peices and the 10 or so different colored ones Ive bought frags of and none seem to be bothered, the red one died about 3 months ago and the little purple guy just started to turn white 3 days ago, hes about the size of a quarter and after 3 days half of him is white. The red one was over night and no other Monti has showed effect since then.

Do you have any hydnophora (I think it is how it is spelled). They have stinging sweeper tentacles that can reach out 8 inches or more.

dsoz

As I understand it, there are lots of corals that will develop sweepers, especially if they "smell" other corals nearby. I have a yellow leather that developed sweepers 4-5" long just a couple of days after intoducing it into the tank, and had to move everything away. These are very thin - thinner than human hair - and clear/white. They are barely visible even in full light. You might check, as Dsoz mentioned, both day and night to see if any other corals might be sweeping the purple monti this way.