Jump to content

Recommendations for t5 led hybrid


Lazyreefer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey there I am looking to get a drop off tank and am thinking that the simple style that I’ve had where they’re mounted off the back with a bending arm won’t work for the length of the tank and it is peninsula style so not wanting to mount off of the viewing glass.... so I am thinking hanging the light would be best? My ceiling is about 15 ft high above the tank is the only thing anyone see an issue in that? I guess another option could maybe be the rails mounting option but not sure if those are strong enough either.... That said I think it would be very nice to do a t5 led hybrid and wondering if people have experience with one or know of one they can recommend. Also what bulbs to run with the hybrid. Thanks for any input🙏🏻

Edited by Lazyreefer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have run a couple hybrids..........first was an 8 bulb ATI that had 2 bulbs gutted so 6 bulbs left and ran 8 nanobox pucks in it.........loved it but went bigger.......ran blue plus fopr all the T5 bulbs.......now running a Giesmann Stellar........... 4 blue plus T5s along with 4 Red Sea 90s...........

 

Both lights were hung from the ceiling with hanging kits.........

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, spectra said:

I have run a couple hybrids..........first was an 8 bulb ATI that had 2 bulbs gutted so 6 bulbs left and ran 8 nanobox pucks in it.........loved it but went bigger.......ran blue plus fopr all the T5 bulbs.......now running a Giesmann Stellar........... 4 blue plus T5s along with 4 Red Sea 90s...........

 

Both lights were hung from the ceiling with hanging kits.........

Awesome thanks for the info especially on the bulbs that is what I was thinking no way I would be disappointed just worried about hanging from 15 ft mostly I guess. Also did you ever feel like you needed the dimmable version? Anyone else reading this I would like your input on that as well the dimmable ones are a good amount more and require a controller 

Edited by Lazyreefer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I built a fixture and run 2 t5s to supplement a hydra 26. I did not go the route of dimable t5 since they only supplement my led and fill in the shadows. The t5s turn on right before peak intensity of led, run for 5 hours and shut off 2 hours before my leds begin their gradual 3 hour ramp down that slowly gets bluer throughout the evening. I started with one blue plus and one coral plus but quickly swapped the coral plus for a second blue plus and just use the led for white balance. Im planing a new tank and planning on having 4 t5 bulbs and adding a prime to one end of the fixture and the 26 on the other side. Going to try lps on the side with the prime and sps on the side with the hydra 26. Adding t5 to my led is probably the best thing I have done for color and growth. I to hang from the ceiling, bought some adjustable t5 nylon rope hangers for growing the devils lettuce. Have had no issues just used oversized mollies and ilets into sheetrock.  

Edited by Oregonic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Oregonic said:

I built a fixture and run 2 t5s to supplement a hydra 26. I did not go the route of dimable t5 since they only supplement my led and fill in the shadows. The t5s turn on right before peak intensity of led, run for 5 hours and shut off 2 hours before my leds begin their gradual 3 hour ramp down that slowly gets bluer throughout the evening. I started with one blue plus and one coral plus but quickly swapped the coral plus for a second blue plus and just use the led for white balance. Im planing a new tank and planning on having 4 t5 bulbs and adding a prime to one end of the fixture and the 26 on the other side. Going to try lps on the side with the prime and sps on the side with the hydra 26. Adding t5 to my led is probably the best thing I have done for color and growth. I to hang from the ceiling, bought some adjustable t5 nylon rope hangers for growing the devils lettuce. Have had no issues just used oversized mollies and ilets into sheetrock.  

That is exactly the info I was looking for thank you very much for that explanation!! I’m really thinking that I will do this fixture because if I do this and hang it rather then the rail system with 2 hydra 32’s it is only about 100 and some change more and adds a lot of light to the tank.... my other option is just one hydra 64 in the fixture instead of two hydra 32’s for a 36” long tank I’m thinking 1 hydra 64 might be enough? Appreciate your info thanks again  makes me want to do it for sure now 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

T5/ led is the way to go. I've had an 8b custom fixture with a radion xr30 I built, an aquatic life hybrid, and now I have an 8b ati powermodule. The powermodule puts out the nicest lighting I have EVER seen. The aquatic life hybrid fixture looks okay, very cost effective, but it has multiple wires, and no programmability capabilities. DIY can yield good results.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

T5/ led is the way to go. I've had an 8b custom fixture with a radion xr30 I built, an aquatic life hybrid, and now I have an 8b ati powermodule. The powermodule puts out the nicest lighting I have EVER seen. The aquatic life hybrid fixture looks okay, very cost effective, but it has multiple wires, and no programmability capabilities. DIY can yield good results.

I am somehow just thinking of this 🤦🏻‍♂️ How would I tell the light to turn on and off I guess just an outlet timer would be the best bet if I don’t get the dimmable or the Powermodule which looks amazing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Lazyreefer said:

I am somehow just thinking of this 🤦🏻‍♂️ How would I tell the light to turn on and off I guess just an outlet timer would be the best bet if I don’t get the dimmable or the Powermodule which looks amazing 

The powermodule is hands down the best light I've used. 1 cable for everything, and it looks so sleek and clean. I ran my aquarium life fixture on a multi channel digital timer. I would suggest just running t5s at 100% as they burn better at their recommend power, then using the leds as what would technically be supplemental lighting. Only run the LEDs for visual pretty much. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok forgot I did run a ATI powermodule for a few.............yes they are nice but hated the programming in them..........

 

As for dimming T5s I think it kills them faster and as stated there just there for supplemental lighting...........I run mine from noon to 5 and have pretty much stuck with that schedule over the years.......... yes tried many bulbs but in the end just found the blue plus to be the best choice for the lighting I like....

 

I run an Apex so that turns my T5s on and off..........the RS 90s are on wi fi..........if running a powermodule it will all be controlled by wifi also you just need to program it and its good.......but the price well............depends what size you go with I guess also how many LEDs are in it.......

 

As stated the aquatics life is ok but the chords suck..........I went the Geisemann as it was just a all around better looking light...........but in the end like I said I would much rather mod a ATI and go with nanobox pucks........I liked them and all the features they had........and yes if the money was there a powermodule but when going 5 foot its not cheap.......

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didnt list the T5’s I use, I went cheap with sun blasters. You can daisy chain them together. I believe you can link 6 or 8 of them off one power cord. They are not fancy or dimmable but they work well. The fixture I made cost under 50 bucks for everything. Even hung a small fan on the fixture to cool tank when needed. 
image.thumb.jpg.8e03efbce11f005eaaaac8125a35fb02.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

The powermodule is hands down the best light I've used. 1 cable for everything, and it looks so sleek and clean. I ran my aquarium life fixture on a multi channel digital timer. I would suggest just running t5s at 100% as they burn better at their recommend power, then using the leds as what would technically be supplemental lighting. Only run the LEDs for visual pretty much. 

That makes sense to me I will be going for the non dimmable one most people seem to agree it makes sense. You mean just a digital timer that the plug for the light goes into then it plugs into your power strip right? Thanks again for your help👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spectra said:

Ok forgot I did run a ATI powermodule for a few.............yes they are nice but hated the programming in them..........

 

As for dimming T5s I think it kills them faster and as stated there just there for supplemental lighting...........I run mine from noon to 5 and have pretty much stuck with that schedule over the years.......... yes tried many bulbs but in the end just found the blue plus to be the best choice for the lighting I like....

 

I run an Apex so that turns my T5s on and off..........the RS 90s are on wi fi..........if running a powermodule it will all be controlled by wifi also you just need to program it and its good.......but the price well............depends what size you go with I guess also how many LEDs are in it.......

 

As stated the aquatics life is ok but the chords suck..........I went the Geisemann as it was just a all around better looking light...........but in the end like I said I would much rather mod a ATI and go with nanobox pucks........I liked them and all the features they had........and yes if the money was there a powermodule but when going 5 foot its not cheap.......

 

 

I agree with all of this which is awesome because it tells me at least I’m kind of on the right track! So thanks fire sharing that, I am heavily leaning towards the 24” hybrid fixture with 3 blue plus bulbs and a actinic bulb and putting two of the new primes mounted on it just worried about hanging it mostly at this point but I have a wood beam about 14 ft up that I would assume should be able to take the 15ish pounds with the hanging kit no problem it’s just old🤔 thank you again for the help

Edited by Lazyreefer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spectra said:

Ok forgot I did run a ATI powermodule for a few.............yes they are nice but hated the programming in them..........

They're supposedly super easy and user friendly to program with a cable through the ati light studio these days. I'm still waiting on my cable, but it definitely was a PAIN programming from the controller with the buttons. Still easier than maxspect led lights lol.

29 minutes ago, Lazyreefer said:

That makes sense to me I will be going for the non dimmable one most people seem to agree it makes sense. You mean just a digital timer that the plug for the light goes into then it plugs into your power strip right? Thanks again for your help👍🏻

Exactly!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lazyreefer said:

I agree with all of this which is awesome because it tells me at least I’m kind of on the right track! So thanks fire sharing that, I am heavily leaning towards the 24” hybrid fixture with 3 blue plus bulbs and a actinic bulb and putting two of the new primes mounted on it just worried about hanging it mostly at this point but I have a wood beam about 14 ft up that I would assume should be able to take the 15ish pounds with the hanging kit no problem it’s just old🤔 thank you again for the help

Wood beam should be fine..............its wood after all...............I hung my 8 bulb off of a sheet rock ceiling with no issues................,

50 minutes ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

They're supposedly super easy and user friendly to program with a cable through the ati light studio these days. I'm still waiting on my cable, but it definitely was a PAIN programming from the controller with the buttons. Still easier than maxspect led lights lol.

Exactly!

I used the light studio also but was just not a fan...........

 

I will say the nanobox was pretty simple with the bluefish app on my phone...............some people hate it but worked for me...............

 

I liked my ATI but it went to Emerald and not sure who owns it now.................

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...